Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to explore drivers and their files after virus scan

• Please log in to reply

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
you should seek a malware expert advice

Advertisements

dtakehana

dtakehana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Yeah I figured :)
Thanks anyway for all your help, I will post a topic in the malware section and seek for help
D

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
not so sure where I should extract the file to. Either way, I decided to put the file to my desktop since I cannot access any hard drive at the moment. No success as yet

What exactly does the above mean? Did you extract the .reg file? Did you try the directions on the Doug Knox site?

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.

If you can open regedit, click on File then Import, point to the .reg file you extracted.

You should also get the EXE file association fix from the Doug Knox site since it sounds like EXEs are not working for you either.

dtakehana

dtakehana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Sorry, I meant I didn´t know how to extract a file. Now I do. And I did what you said, unzipped and imported the .reg file. No luck. I´ll try to get the .exe file association and see what happens. Will let you know when done.

dtakehana

dtakehana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi Ztrucker,
I am sorry but nope, nothing happened...
ANy other ideas?
Thanks! :)

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
after you extract file and import it you need too restart your computer for the changes to take effect

dtakehana

dtakehana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Yep. I restarted the system everytime I performed any changes suggested to me.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
you appear to be in good hands with landlord
are the .EXE files software you installed your self
or are these windows files
if these are software .EXE files can you reinstall them
by way of down from internet or cd

good luck with the malware forum they do have the good fixes

dtakehana

dtakehana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi
The .exe files are system files I am afraid. You can see them in the AVG report I uploaded in my first post. Yeah I hope they will be able to sort my problem out! :) If not, worse comes to worse I´ll have to back up my files and re-install the windows again :)
Anyway, thanks for all the help
All the best
D

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I looked at the AVG report and they are not system files. They are all files related to the Trojan you had.

I don't understand why merging the Drive and EXE fixes into the registry did not fix your problem though. Once you are cleared by Landlord in the malware forum, please come back here so we can have another whack at this before you reinstall.

Advertisements

dtakehana

dtakehana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Will do! :)

dtakehana

dtakehana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi there folks!
It seems the problem is solved since I followed Landlord´s instructions! Now I can access the drivers like the usual, just waiting for his reply to confirm everything is OK - thanx a lot anyway for all your help! :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's good news indeed. Thanks for letting us know.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
thats good to hear
malware interferes with .exe files glad your all fixed up