Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp pro reinstall

• Please log in to reply

wsx123

wsx123

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I'm trying to reinstall windows xp pro on an IBM Thinkpad. I put in the CD, formatted the drive to do a fresh install, all goes well until I enter the product key from the XP PRO COA tag on the back of the laptop- then I get an error message invalid key?? Can't get any further?

Advertisements

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Is the pro version the one that came with the laptop ?

wsx123

wsx123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
The laptop came with an oem xp pro, i"m using a real xp pro.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Then you need to add the retail keys . OEM keys wouldn't work with retail

wsx123

wsx123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I might be better off getting the oem re install disk for $52.00 + shipping from IBM. Or would it be OK to use my copy of xp pro with it's key?

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
You can use your retail version if you like . If you want to be legal ? It's one software license per one computer. With retail version you are allow to install this version as many times as you like and it can be transfer unto any computer , though just as long as it's only on one computer , one license for one computer only .

wsx123

wsx123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, I just want to be sure I can update it in the future. I'm sure Micro$oft will have more xp updates coming.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
You're welcome . service pack 3 I heard will be available at the end of the month , though I would wait a week or 2 before updating this service pack and when you do update this service pack be sure to create a system restore before updating , this way if the update causes any problems you can always undo the last update . In fact it's always good to create a system restore before doing any major update .

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

i"m using a real xp pro.

I just caught that , I might of made an error towards your definition of " Real " If you mean Retail ? Then everything I said apply .

wsx123

wsx123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Sold the laptop, wiped the hard disk-case closed.
Thanks