Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent Help with something troublesome

• Please log in to reply

Logitek

Logitek

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hy there friends :)

I am having a BIG problem with my PC
It sounds like this : my computer freezes randomly when it's multitasking or being idle :| ... I found out how to look in the Event Manager in Windows XP SP2 and it seems that every time my computer freezes it logs here as 4 acpi errors --> please view the images -->

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

This is my second computer and it's doing the same thing as the other one :) It's freezing when I need it the most :P

Please I need your help with this one ! :) :) :) :) :) Ohh and don't worry about that name hackwarez :) it's just to scare my friends on LAN :)

My current specs are :

AMD Duron 1300 Mhz
Acorp 7KTA(P) Motherboard ( 1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP 4X, 1 AMR )
Motherboard Chipset - VIA VT8363 Apollo KT133
384 Mb SDR ( 3 x 128 Mb PC 133 [LAT: 3.3.3.6 ] )
Western Digital Caviar 80 Gb 7200 RPM - 2 Mb Buffer ( ATA33 )
nVIDIA GeForce 4 Titanium 4200 with AGP8X - 128 Mb DDR 128 Bit ( AGP 4x )
ASUS CD-RW 52x24x52x - 2 Mb Buffer
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value

Please Help !

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This can normally be resolved by updating the BIOS on the motherboard. The BIOS you get from the people who made it, if such a newer one is available and the company still trading.

Logitek

Logitek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
that can't be done :) my mobo is Acorp 7KTA ... Acorp is no longer "alive" :)( so the BIOS update is out of question :)

can I do something else ? change some port addresses ? or something ?

I need to solve this issue kuz it drives me mad X( ... my PC freezes once in 1-2 Hours ( never when I play games though )

please help :) cheers :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try resetting the bios to defaults and see if you can boot...the ACPI error can also be caused by aggressive memory timings or overclocking

Edited by happyrck, 19 April 2008 - 03:44 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't know what BIOS level you have, but there are updates for it available, see here: http://driverscollec...om/?file_id=118

Google yields other possibilities as well: http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

Logitek

Logitek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
first, thanks for the replies :) now ... I tried resetting the BIOS to default but it couldn't boot because it didn't find any floppy ( :) I don't have a floppy drive, nor do I want one :):P ) so I disabled the floppy seek and all floppy related stuff . It's been almost a day and the system didn't freeze anymore :) although I played NFS Most Wanted all day long ... btw it never froze when I played games (no matter how demanding the game ) .
Ztruker the BIOS version that you pointed me to, is the same as mine :) .. no updates .. same size 190 k :)

I think that the system freeze was about the conflict between the onboard sound card and the Creative Sound Blaster.
Also I could think that the memory timings were too low ... anyways I hope it doesn't freeze on me again, I'll keep you updated on the situation and Thanks so much for your help :)

G2G RuLLzzz :P :) :) :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome ...and thanks for letting us know... :)