Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant connect to the internet please help.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

KESTDAWG

KESTDAWG

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I just reformatted my wifes computer. It is an old IBM netvista model 8310-47u. Everything seems to be fine except fot the yellow question marks in the device manager. "ethernet controller" and "multimedia audio controller" I went to IBM website and tried several different drivers but I am either installing the wrong drivers or installing them incorrectly. I plugged the cpu into my verizon modem But it doesnt seem to do anything. Ive been trying to fix this issue for 8 hours and dont know what else to do. Any help is graetly appreciated.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Kestdawg
do you know if you have the 3 com network card in the machine. If yes then this will be what you need.
It comes with install instructions.
for 3 com network card
Cheers
Peterm

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi pererm & KESTDAWG,

I may have some useful advice.

We can easily check to see if you need your network driver by going into your Network Connections.

How to get to Network Connections:

Click Start -> Control Panel (classic view) -> Click "Network Connections".

Once you're in Network Connections, do you see a local area, a wireless connection?

Please list all your connections you see in a post here. If you see none, that will mean you're missing the driver.

I was looking at IBM's site, what is your Operating System? (XP,vista..)

After looking at IBM's site, I think if you try the link that peterm suggested it will work if that doesn't work you can try this:

Intel Ethernet driver only (no applications) - NetVista / ThinkCentre:

http://www-307.ibm.c...ocid=MIGR-57033

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 09:29 AM.

KESTDAWG

KESTDAWG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok SO HERE GOES NOTHING.... i Trried to install those drivers I download them I hit next and all that good stuff they seem to run fine and finish with no errors But when I go into device manage I still have the yellow question marks next th ethernet controller and another by multimedia audio controller. To answer your other questions I cant hear any sound from the pc. My operating system is win xp. And when i go into network connections it doesnty show anything in there. It is totally blank. Hopefully you guys will know where to go from here. This guy at a cpu store wants to charge me 100 bucks to fix this. I think its a little steep and want to try to get this working on my own. Thanks in advance

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi,

Try this for your Ethernet:
http://www-307.ibm.c...ocid=MIGR-51215

And for Audio:
http://www-307.ibm.c...ocid=MIGR-44440

Thanks Cam

KESTDAWG

KESTDAWG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK thanks to your help half of the problem has been fixed the question mark next to multimedia audio controller is gone and I have sound unfortunately the yellow question mark is still next to "ethernet controller" I installed it the same exact way I did for all the other drivers that are currently working. anthing else you can think of? Is there a specific way to install this driver? I appreciate your help

KESTDAWG

KESTDAWG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
someone suggested intel pro set network driver search on google but i dont seem to find one that seems to work for this machine

KESTDAWG

KESTDAWG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
could it be the fact that i have tried so many different drivers? do i have to remove all the drivers taht didnt work and start again?

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi KestDawg,

You asked how to uninstall it, you would (in device manager) right click on the driver you want to uninstall and click Uninstall. Be cautious about doing this.

I do have an idea so we can get to the bottom of the mystery of "what driver do you have" this will tell us what drivers your missing and what needs t be updated. We will not worry bout updating only worry about the Ethernet Controller.

Follow these Instructions:
1.Go to this website http://driveragent.com
2.Click "Click here to update drivers"
3.Install the plug in or active x it requests, and wait for it to scan for the drivers.
4.Once you see the list please find the Ethernet Controller please try and post back any useful info this tool may give you. The Controller will probably be under "Network adapters" in the list of drivers.

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 02:48 PM.

KESTDAWG

KESTDAWG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok this is sooo sweet. I got the yellow question mark gone. It appears as all the drivers are good and ready to go. I plugged the cable form my verizon fios into the back but still not connected . I m pretty sur ethat i have to set up the connection. can you guide me through this?

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

ok this is sooo sweet. I got the yellow question mark gone. It appears as all the drivers are good and ready to go. I plugged the cable form my verizon fios into the back but still not connected . I m pretty sur ethat i have to set up the connection. can you guide me through this?

I'm glad to hear that.

Could you go into Network Connections and tell me if it's still blank?

Start->Control Panel-->Classic View--->Network Connections

Thanks

KESTDAWG

KESTDAWG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yessssss im on the web!!!!! you are the man. now this computer has a wireless linksys card in it . Its currently all hooked up and I installed the software. Is there a guide somewhere thatll show me how to set it up. I dont have any of the manuals for it. by the way you are the friggin man You saved me 100 bucks I owe you big time

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Wonderful! :)

I'm really glad it working.

On the Wireless Linksys Card, I misunderstood the part where you said you have ti set up, then you said you need a guide?

KESTDAWG

KESTDAWG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Im sorry I was so excited that Im not making myself clear. INside the machine there is a linksys wirelessG 2.4ghz card hooked up
It is a model wmp54gs v1

I found the software for it online and installed that.

Now for some reason I dont know what to do to get it to loook for a connection.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Alright

This is one you installed in your system manfully.

And you say you've already installed the software, what that the software that came with it you installed?