Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ZIP 250MB

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I have a zip drive, 250MB USB powered. I've got 5 disks giving me a total storage of around 1.25GB. Many times im required to transfer files more than 250MB in size. I wanted to know if there is a software that could probably split up the file(s) so that i could make it fit onto more than one disk (on as many as required)?

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
you can create batch files which use DOS.

file#1:
cd \fileLocation
copy a*.* d:
copy b*.* d:
copy i*.* d:
copy j*.* d:

file#2:
cd \fileLocation
copy k*.* d:
copy l*.* d:
copy y*.* d:
copy z*.* d:

need more details?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well, i need more details cause im not too good with dos. But when opening the file do i open in dos or wat? Like how does it exactly work and is there any other possible easier method of doing this, maybe something having a GUI, if you know what i mean. lol

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
the DOS is in the file, you don't need to do anything directly in DOS.

open a new file in notepad.

copy the following into one file:

cd \fileLocation
copy a*.* d:
copy b*.* d:
copy i*.* d:
copy j*.* d:

save the file as save1.bat.

copy the following into another file:
cd \fileLocation
copy k*.* d:
copy l*.* d:
copy y*.* d:
copy z*.* d:

save the file as save2.bat.

do the filenames all start with a-z or something else?

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
When you've typed "..." and you've said to copy into a file, do you want me to fill those spaces up with the remaining letters or just leave it as it is? Well, sometimes they start with letters and sometimes with numbers, if it is a problem i can always rename them to start with a letter, that's not a problem.

Thanks for the quick replies but i won't reply for some time now cause its 7:42 am in my country and i'm just about to go to sleep, not slept the whole night so i would request you to give me as many details as possible and maybe a few faq's that you think i would most probably ask, only if its not a problem, if it is then no problem il reply in a some time and wait some more time for your reply.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I think we have enough info for tonight(morning). Enjoy your sleep.