Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm new and need help

• Please log in to reply

AmyR2

AmyR2

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi,
How is everyone doing? My name is Amy, and I'm new to this site.
I'm searching around for help on a problem I'm having with my computer.

First before I ask the question, I just want to make sure everyone knows that I understand that 256MB of RAM is not much memory.
I've had my computer for about 5 years now I think. Everything has been working fine with the computer up until 1 year ago when we switched our internet provider from using Earthlink Dialup to Bellsouth DSL. My computer has the modem and router on it which is wired going to my mom's computer which hers seems to be working fine with 512MB of RAM.

Ever since the switch, whenever I try and do certain things like using my scanner, and certain sites online I go to like Webkinz, the
CPU Usage goes to 100% and locks up the computer.

Any suggestions why the switch of internet providers would cause all this?

Thanks,
Amy

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi Amy,

Amy I do not think making your internet faster would cause this, I think it's just building on 5 years of damage. Try what I have below and see if if helps.

Just a suggestion,

Maybe you could try freeing up some space to help the PC become more responsive.

One of my buddies here who is active and has been here far longer then I named cmpm recommends this program allows you to see info about processes on your PC, show you information about what's running in the background. I hope it's useful to you as it was to me. Thanks him as well for that.
http://www.hostmonit...d/procmeter.zip Once downloaded find the process that is causing the 100% and then tell us and we can find what what it is, and why it's there.

Note from cmpm:

no install required
and it's an easy way to see what is happening
very basic but effective

Over time (you said 5 years) unused files,unnecessary files build up on your PC making the system bog down on you below i'll menton some things you can try to reduce this.

running Disk Cleanup will provide you with more space thus increasing system performance.

To access Disk Cleanup:
Click on Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Cleanup make sure all are checked (if Hibernation file is there it's up to you, if you do not use Hibernation I suggest checking it) and then click ok and it will start the cleanup.

Run a disk defragment:
Running a defrag will help your system become stable, and longer living. (this can be timely if this is your first time in 5 years to run this)

To access Disk Defragmentor:
Click on Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Defragmentor

Use this free, portable program (portable means no installation just open it and use it):
This will cleanup some of those unnecessary files in Windows you do not need:
http://www.atribune..../click.php?id=1

Download it, and save it to your desktop. Once downloaded open it and click "Select All" and click Empty Selected.

Finally consider Running a disk defragmentor:
Running a defrag will help your system become stable, and longer living. (this can be timely if this is your first time in 5 years to run this)

To access Disk Defragmentor:
Click on Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmentor
Reboot once all this is completed and see how it runs.

Edited by CamTheMan, 18 April 2008 - 09:42 PM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
right click on your blue task bar
click on task manager
under process tab
which process is using high CPU usage

Edited by Mr Freeze, 18 April 2008 - 09:24 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi AmyR2...welcome to Geeks 2 Go... :)

the proper way to connect is the modem to the router...with both computers connected to the router..

about Webkinz...that site requires javascript...you can try getting the newest version here..

also try shutting down all other programs before using your scanner...
how big a swap file do you have...

Edited by happyrck, 19 April 2008 - 04:17 PM.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi,
I would 1st like to thank everyone who is helping me out.

I thought I would give you a few more details on things I’ve been trying over the year.
1. I have run disk defrag and cleanup as things to try and didn’t help.
2. If I already have checked task manager, should I still download the hostmonitor?
The CPU Usage seems to be going to 100% only when using my scanner, and going to sites like Webkinz.
Under the Processes tab, if at Webkinz, sometimes the thing at the top of the list will be Netscp.exe and then System Idle Process goes to like the 2nd spot.

Yes, I already do have everything shut down when using the scanner. Only thing different is that I’m connected to the internet all the time with having the DSL.
What is a swap file?

Does anyone know problems people have had with Bellsouth DSL as their ISP?
They sent us this installation cd that my nephew used to set up the internet.
I was wondering if the cd installed some things that maybe using resources.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to check your swap file size...right click on my computer...properties...aadvanced tab...in the performance section..settings...advanced tab...down towards the bottom in virtual memory ..what does it say you have for paging file

go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 50 times faster than the defragger that comes with windows

try uninstalling the scanner software and then reinstall it

Edited by happyrck, 23 April 2008 - 04:18 PM.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
382 MB Virtual Memory

Thank you very much for all the suggestions to try.

Only problem is I’ve already been doing most of the things you suggest and have had a repairman out and one of my brother-in-law’s who knows a lot about computers got a bit of a chance to look at my computer a bit while over here during the holidays.

Here is what had already been done:
1. going to start, Run, then the msconfig and have it already marked next to the things in the Startup that are suppose to be checked.

Due to a problem in the past with I think it was ccleaner or it was something very similar we had. It deleted stuff that was important for the computer to work.
The repairman and my brother-in-law both said not to get the ccleaner since it messes with the registry and can cause so many problems. Have also been reading about problems others have been having with it.

My brother-in-law did put something on my computer that he uses and does the stuff you were saying about clearing out the history, temporary internet files, all that stuff something called ATF_cleaner.

It’s looking like we will have to call someone out to install more RAM. Not sure who to use though. The last repairman we had been using, he didn’t do a good job last time he was out working on mine and mom’s computers.
On mine, he was suppose to uninstall Norton and put AVG on. But he left all these Norton components all over my computer. He also was suppose to get out all the stuff that the Bellsouth cd installed. But left so much of that on there too.

Something we thought to try and find out about first before getting all the Norton stuff off my computer and then my mom was thinking of switching to AVG also. Both of us had that blasterworm. The patch for it is Norton.
If we remove that patch, will it cause the problems again?

There are some other things I need to ask, but I’ll just ask them later so that the questions don’t get too confusing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

1. going to start, Run, then the msconfig and have it already marked next to the things in the Startup that are suppose to be checked.

what all has a checkmark to load with windows...please list them

The repairman and my brother-in-law both said not to get the ccleaner since it messes with the registry and can cause so many problems.

I not only use it personally...I install it on ALL the systems I build or work on...I would not do this if it caused any problems ever...see screenshot

he was suppose to uninstall Norton and put AVG on. But he left all these Norton components all over my computer.

not much of a tech if he did that...

how much ram do you have installed now...what is the make and model of your computer...
xp will run with 256MB but its dog slow...minimum should be 512 MB with the swap file set to 1000 MB

Edited by happyrck, 28 April 2008 - 11:28 AM.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
My computer is s Dell with 256MB of RAM.
Which I understand is not much at all. The main thing we keep trying to figure out is why I wasn't having any problems with the CPU Usage going to 100& before switching our ISP from Earthlink Dialup to Bellsouth DSL.

My mom is trying to help me figure all this out too. Her computer is also a Dell and has 512 MB of RAM.

We are trying to figure out is the problem due to having the modem and router on my computer? Like maybe because my computer has so little RAM. Maybe had just enough to do things and then we add the modem and router and is taking up the rest of the resources?
Or
is it maybe due to all the Bellsouth stuff that got installed on my computer too with the installation cd they sent. My nephew used it to install the internet.

The repairman that left all the Norton stuff all over my computer unchecked everything except for these:
WksSb
NvCpl
nwiz
avgcc
WkDetect
NVMCTRAY

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Here's the Norton cleanup utility

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

And here is AVG-

http://www.filehippo..._avg_antivirus/

And I also wonder if she needs the Bell South software, happyrck.
It's probably just to set her e-mail account up, and modify or update the modem.
Which should stay done after removing Bell South software.
But I don't see it in the list so it may not be a problem.

For my cable I can hook up and go with any computer if I don't need their software to set up the e-mail account. The e-mail account can be exported then imported after removing Bell South software.

I thought I'd add this in there for you and see if it helps anything.
It's just suggestions AmyR2, for happyrck to look at, which he already knows I'm sure.

pulling out to watch and see now....

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
By the way, that looks like AVG 7.5 and not 8.0 which just came out with lots of extras. Of course those extras will be in the processes. Activated on demand I believe.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Hey AmyR2,
I do not think your problem is with the small amount of ram you have, or with your switch to DSL. A couple of things are more than likely going on there.

Switching from a dial-up to DSL is like installing a bigger pipe into your house. Bigger = more stuff coming in at once. You may have to slow down the amount of programs or procceses running in order for your machine to work correctly. The installlation CD that was used more than likely had a bundle of software that was installed to your machine. More is not good in your situation.

There is a possibility that you have some adware or something along those lines running on your machine. These type of things might not be noticed on a faster machine but due to the age and limited resourses you have there it could be causing your problem. A thorough cleaning of the machine might be in order. The "repair-man" or the inlaws might have an idea where to start, but it needs to be completly cleaned. ATF is great, but just dumps the temp stuff.

I have an XP machine w/256 of ram and it works fine untill I load it with junk. An upgrade to your machine will help, but not cure your problems.

Start with going to your add/remove part of the control panel, and dump what you dont use. Next, as sugggested find out what is running (processes) and work on getting rid of the unnessicary stuff. I see you got the link for the norton removal tool, use it.

Your getting some good advice, happyrck know his way around a computer. I would do as he suggests :)

Just my 2 cents.

Harry

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first try uninstalling the scanner software and driver...then reinstall them...

this advice by harrythook is good....malware might be contributing to your problem...

There is a possibility that you have some adware or something along those lines running on your machine. These type of things might not be noticed on a faster machine but due to the age and limited resourses you have there it could be causing your problem. A thorough cleaning of the machine might be in order

Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here... if after you get a all clear from the malwre pro's your still having problems..post back here and we can try a few other things

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thank you very much for all the great suggestions on what to try.

Some of the suggestions I have already done.

About the only thing we haven’t tried is uninstalling the scanner stuff for a couple of reasons. Since they don’t make that design anymore, I wont have the drivers anymore since we had to go online the site to get them. Also, since the problems started exactly when the Bellsouth stuff got loaded on and the modem/router. Seems like it wouldn’t be the scanner causing the problem since none of these problems were happening before the switch.
Plus the scanner isn’t the only time the CPU usage is going to 100% is another reason.
Somewhere I had read that scanners did mention scanners using a lot of RAM. Didn’t say how much though. When trying to play games online like at Webkinz, one thing I keep having problems with is this message:
A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 9 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?
Yes or No

I just looked at what version of AVG I have. It is 7.5
Does anyone know if the Norton removal tool will work right since the repairman tried doing it without the removal tool, so it’s not listed in the add/remove programs anymore.
The only other question on the Norton, both me and my mom’s computers got hit with that blasterworm thing a few years ago. The patch we have is Norton. If we remove the patch, will that cause any problems? Or maybe AVG even has a patch.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7342 here is something we found about the Bellsouth software. Is looking more like it is mostly the cause switching to Bellsouth since the stuff on the installation cd was loaded on the computer. Have been trying to see if removing them would help anything, but if you do a search for Bellsouth, there are a number of things it finds. But it’s not in the add/remove programs anymore since the repairman worked on it. Could the stuff still somehow be running in the background? Actually I did notice some Helpcenter thing listed in the Startup area when I went to list the things that have a checkmark by it. The Helpcenter doesn’t have one, but this is one of the things the cd installed.

Over all this time, I’ve been going through the computer and getting rid of things. One of the things I got rid of is this Moneymarket thing. Plus some other things I don’t use anymore either.

Have been doing scans for adware and spyware. I’ve got things like-Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE Personal,
When my brother inlaw was over and looking at my computer a bit he added Spywareblaster.
I think this is even one of the websites he mentioned to try for help. He said definitely don’t call that repairman back out for anything.
I had hijackthis and that repairguy removed it saying because of it having to do with the registry. Since we don’t know anything about the registry.
I would love to someday learn about the registry. I don’t even know how to get there.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
have tyried process explorer
it was posted as a tip in this forum

http://forums.pcpits...howtopic=146998

heres a excerpt of the tip

Pass the cursor over performance graph see whats using so much cpu usage
or go threads...right click on the process using lots of cpu..click on threads...properties
and observe...you can kill the process or find out if its something that you may have installed

you can download it from here
http://www.microsoft...ssExplorer.mspx