Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm new and need help

• Please log in to reply

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Haven’t heard about process explorer until just now.
Don’t think I will need it though.

After reading over all the great suggestions and doing some more investigation. Looks like it’s what harrythook said about the more stuff coming in at once.

Also, at the 1st site for the forum in Mr. Freeze post, I noticed it mentions in the very 1st post on the site a list of things that can cause the problems- things you may have installed. One of the things in the list I noticed they mention router. The modem and router are on my computer, along with of course all that stuff on the installation cd.

Here is something else I tried to do too.
Since one of the times it happens is when I’m trying to use Webkinz, Also have some other sites I go to which seem to drain the memory too. It sure did on the computer I had before this one.
I went to see what happens out on my mom’s computer also a Dell(with 512MB of RAM).
The CPU usage on hers was going up too, but not to 100%, but was going up high.

Here are a few theories I’m now thinking:
Before coming on Geeks to go, we didn’t know what a swap file even was.
Now that we know that, it seems maybe the reason I didn’t have any of the problems before the switch to Bellsouth- which added the modem, router, and all the stuff from the Installation cd, that maybe the swap file is what was helping me to not have the problems.

Same with when I use stuff like the scanner. Before adding DSL which keeps you connected to the internet all the time. With Dialup I wasn’t connected to the internet when using the scanner. Noticed if I did, things would go really slow with my scans.

One thing my mom just thought of too after reading on the forum I mentioned in the beginning where it mentioned routers in the list of things that using CPU usage. We have the router doing it Wired. So, she is wondering then that would be another thing using memory to send the signal out to her computer.
How much memory do routers and modems usually need?

Only other thought we were wondering, if we move the modem and router to my mom’s computer since hers has more memory and doesn’t have the Bellsouth software on hers.
Still of course need to get someone to come out and correct the stuff the other repairman messed up on.

Then add more memory to so that I don’t have to end the process with the highest because it seems to just be like Webkinz is the highest whenever using Webkinz. The other things on the list is a few things that have really low numbers like 2%. Once in awhile will have athings that have like 11%, 17% which isn’t much either.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Hi Amy,

Another resource built in to XP is 'Services".
Better then msconfig imo, and more options.

To get to this.
Open Control Panel.
Double click 'Administrative Tools'.
Double click 'Services'.
(it's at the bottom of the list of programs)

From here you can right click any services and change some things.
There is-automatic-manual-disable options.
As well as stop service on most all of them.
Some you can't stop, but those are not the problem.

Look for BellSouth entries.
When you click on a service, the left panel gives you a little info on that service.

You can stop the BellSouth services then disable it.
Restart your computer and see if you still have a connection.
Now some of these BellSouth services might be needed.
But I'm sure some are not.

Check them one at a time.
Stopping and disabling them and restarting to see if you still have net access.

You may get a message when stopping or disabling telling you that the service relies on another service.
If so, stop the one it relies on then the other one you were stopping.

Take it slowly and methodically.
This is a safe way to explore what can be shut off that is not needed.
Because you are not uninstalling anything, just adjusting what runs on your computer.

This is an alternative to uninstalling BellSouth software.
You can re-enable the service if it stops your net connection.
Set it to automatic or manual the way it was.
Then restart the computer again.

The Norton cleanup tool will work no matter what the 'repair' person did.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Only other thought we were wondering, if we move the modem and router to my mom’s computer since hers has more memory and doesn’t have the Bellsouth software on hers.

here is the proper connection setup...
the ISP (cable or DSL) connects to the modem...the modem connect to the router...both your computers connect to the router...once you have everything connected this way you will need to power cycle everything...it needs to be done in this exact order...
Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computers

The above steps should take care of your problem

now about this...

Another resource built in to XP is 'Services".

do not start playing around in the services unless you don't mind doing a complete reinstall of xp...
think of it as "tap dancing in a minefield" for those that don't know what they are doing...nuf said...

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Thanks happyrck,

I'm familiar with it but for someone who is not it is dangerous.

So Amy, forget what I said. :)

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

here is the proper connection setup...
the ISP (cable or DSL) connects to the modem...the modem connect to the router...both your computers connect to the router...once you have everything connected this way you will need to power cycle everything...it needs to be done in this exact order...
Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computers

The above steps should take care of your problem

A bit confused on this. Do you mean this has to be done everytime you turn on the computer or just when you first get the internet set up?
My nephew is the one who set the stuff up, but the thing is we had the modem set up awhile before adding the router because we didn't have the wiring done yet. Since I use the internet the most, he put the modem on my computer along with the Bellsouth software that was on the installation cd they sent us which had instructions on what all to do to get started.
So, all of that got added on my computer.
Then down the road when my nephews Dad got a chance to come over he did the wiring and then my nephew installed the router.
After the router got installed, we started having another weird problem with this helpcenter thing causing this thing to come up everytime you turn on the computer that says Connect to 192.168.1.1 which had a place to type in a username and password with the username it seemed to have my earthlink email address listed there for some reason. Even though we were already connected to the internet because we could go around on the internet, check email all that stuff.
Before going into the startup menu and unchecking the helpcenter thing which stopped the connect to thing from coming up, there were a couple of things that would stop the thing from coming up. My nephew kept saying to type in the router password. Which I kept trying to say this doesn’t make any sense to do this since we are already connected to the internet. Making me wonder what we were logging onto. Another thing that would stop it from coming up I found out on the Linksys message boards if you just keep closing it out several times it will eventually stop coming up.
Then like I mentioned above, the helpcenter thing someone in the linksys boards mentioned trying to disable that. So, I decided to give it a try and it worked.
My nephew I think keeps thinking that there is nothing wrong with the connect to thing coming up. Even though Bellsouth and people at Linksys, even my other sister who also has Bellsouth at her house doesn’t have the connect to thing coming up.
Which makes me wonder if there is anything else he did wrong with setting things up.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

A bit confused on this. Do you mean this has to be done everytime you turn on the computer or just when you first get the internet set up?

no just do it now..then you won't have to do it again unless something goes haywire down the road...