Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Completely New Build

• Please log in to reply

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi there.

I have managed thus far to get by with my centuries old desktop PC, but recently (since I bought a new laptop) it has started to bug me.

I want to scrap it and start a self-build, but have a VERY basic knowledge of hardware...

So I need some advice.

I've got about...£500-600 ($1000-1200) to spend.

I MAINLY use my computer to run fairly ordinary tasks (sometimes lots at the same time), but would LOVE to be able to use it for gaming sometimes (currently impossible).

I am also a complete mp3 hoarder. My entire CD collection is currently stored on the HD and an Ext. HD (which I actually just integrated into my actual system) and I think currently the combined HD space is about...400GB? It could quite feasibly be made bigger.

So really I'm looking to make a fast computer, capable of performing multiple tasks at the same time, which can be part of a home sharing network, support Xbox Live, support the occasional HIGH SPEC game and hold my expansive collection of music and DVDs...

anyone fancy giving me a hand? (the budget is negotiable?)

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi kill_hXc

I can certainly give you a hand when it comes to picking out the components. Are you looking to buy a new monitor as well? If so give me an indication of what size you are looking for and I will "build" the computer for you online and you can have a look.

use my computer to run fairly ordinary tasks (sometimes lots at the same time)

I'm thinking Quad Core processing is the way to go for you! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only worry I have is that you say you "have a VERY basic knowledge of hardware..." Have you ever had experience of building a PC from scratch before?

I'm not going to make out that building a PC a the most difficult thing in the world to do, because it isn't, however do you know anyone who is quite good at troubleshooting problems if they arrise?

The last thing I would want to happen would be for you to put everything in the case and switch the power on and nothing happens....it can be very frustrating, especially if you are not sure where to start!

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I should have been a little more clear in that actually. I was referring more to compatibility and best products on market etc, rather than the actual practicalities. I've never done a self-build before, but have installed internal components, and yes I do have a few friends who have done it before. There's alway Geeks to Go aswell!

I'm not sure about Quad Core actually; I'm only using XP (not best of friends with Vista, we'll see what happens when the first SP arrives...) and I'm not going to be doing any video editing whilst running a graphic design program; it'd just be a few low to moderate strain apps...so I think dual core would be fine.

SAYING THAT...if it turns out that the quad core is only a little bit more expensive, then why not!

No need for monitors, I just got two DELL 15in LCDs for free!

cheers for taking the time though mate!

p.s. I'm also thinking independent graphic/sound cards?

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
The good news is that SP1 for Vista has already been produced and is available for download from Microsofts Website.

If you are looking to play games, then definitely and independent graphics card is the way to go. If you are looking to play up to the minute games, you could quite easily spend in excess of £150 on a graphics card, however I'll do some searching about and see what I can get.

Good effort with the 2 Dell Monitors....depending on the graphics card, you may be able to run them in a dual monitor setup!

I'll get the build to you this week...at least it will give you an idea of prices etc...

Cheers