Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ERROR: 80

• Please log in to reply

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Today when I was searching through my folders I got a error message that says "Error: 80". I clicked OK and windows explorer shut down.
I goggled it and got very little info, and none of it helpful.
Anyone have a clue on what I should do to correct/prevent this issue?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
more info needed ...does it happen regularly or only just the once...what were you doing at the time...have you added any new programs or hardware recently...any windows updates or any program updates...

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It is a newly repaired 5 year old Shuttle. I replaced the hard drive and optical drive with new ones. Then installed Win XP Pro (along with most of my favorite programs).
While transferring large files from an external hard drive I'd have Win Explorer error messages saying it needs to shut down. I learned that by moving the message (and not shutting Win Ex down) I could continue with the task at hand, and shut it down at the end of the session. Finally I got tired of doing that and installed XP anti spy which put the kibosh on future messages of it's type (but not the errors) - Win Ex would then shut itself down before letting me shut the computer down.
I've finished the transferring of files, and I've only had the ERROR: 80 message once.
So far not a huge issue, but I'm hoping to prevent a series of problems.
Basically all I want to know is what is a ERROR: 80?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ERROR: 80... can be related to several different things...because this only happened once don't worry about it