Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help !

• Please log in to reply

Compy

Compy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was playing a game on my computer when it started lagging , and eventually froze.
So I pressed the button to turn off my computer right away.
Now whenever I try to turn it back on , it gives me the regular stuff, then goes to a screen asking to start windows normally or back to a different time, anything I click brings me to the boot screen which stops, then the whole thing restarts again.

I have a Media Center Edition and I'm not too sure I have a disk :S

Please Help !

Edited by Compy, 18 April 2008 - 11:49 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

If nothing from the startup menu can start Windows you'll need to do a 'recovery' using the PC maker's recovery disc, or re-install from the Microsoft CD. Either method will re-install Windows, but the recovery disc method is preferrable since it automatically installs all the correct device drivers for your system -- just as it was when it left the factory. Using the Microsoft CD will also install Windows of course, but not necessarily all the drivers your system requires.

If you have no re-install or recovery CD you should look on the website of your PC manufacturer. The 'big brands' mostly have a link on their website for ordering replacement recovery discs.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try a repair first...lowdown is here...,
got data on the drive that you don't have backed up ...you can get it using puppy linux...it runs totally in ram...
if you want ..I will post instructions and links...