Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I reformatted, wireless = no work

• Please log in to reply

L3Push

L3Push

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Okay..the weird thing is.
I'm on the Internet because I'm using a USB and cable modem to connect directly to my computer.

I have a linksys router. Theres a connection. On one end, I plug it in the router, and on the other end, I plug it onto the modem.

The wireless SHOULD work, but it doesn't, and I installed the drivers that I needed.

Help?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Things to check:

1. The wireless interface is enabled in the router's configuration settings (usually accessed with a web-browser)

2. If the wireless interface is password protected you must enter the same password in the wireless software of the PC you are trying to use wirelessly.

L3Push

L3Push

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
dont think thats the problem =o

I did install the drivers.

Wireles DOES work

but the internet itself doesnt, meaning it doesnt load internet pages...What the...?

it happened to all the other computers so far...=.=

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi L3Push & pip22,

I have a simple question that may help out. Push, are you able to connect to your wireless connection,then once it's connected you can't load pages. Or is your wireless on your computer not finding your wireless network?

I do think you were very clear in your post above, but I just want to confirm we're all thinking on the same page.

I just have one more question, what lights are solid, what lights are blinking on your modem?

Edited by CamTheMan, 19 April 2008 - 12:20 PM.

L3Push

L3Push

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi CamTheMan^^

First off, I forgot to mention that my router is a Linksys WRT54GS
I'm on the Internet because my cable modem is connected via USB. Then there's a ethernet cord which you connect one side for the back of the router and the other side to connect onto the modem. Without the USB, wireless should be working

To the question

Push, are you able to connect to your wireless connection,then once it's connected you can't load pages. Or is your wireless on your computer not finding your wireless network?

I am able to connect to the wireless connection, but it dose not load pages.

I just have one more question, what lights are solid, what lights are blinking on your modem?

All lights are blinking.
This includes Power, Receive, Send, Online, and PC/Activity.

On a further note, this is what I discovered while playing around with stuff

Photo 1:
http://img241.images...78545074bz5.jpg

Photo 2:
http://img138.images...87271471ij2.jpg

Photo 3:
http://img241.images...33093456vg6.jpg

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Thanks for that. I looked at the images I'm not sure on the error perhaps another person can with that. But I would like to try something I wrote after I wrote my first while i waited for your response. It looked to me it was trying to install files for the driver, that might suspect me to believe we have the wrong driver installed.

I'm assuming you'll be able to keep communication with us using the computer your on now.

it happened to all the other computers so far...=.=

Since it's happening to all your computers It sounds more like a ISP problem, and not PC.

You could do a power fresh, in this it refreshes the connection and fixes most problems like what you're having. If you call your ISP (Internet ServiceProvider) this method is what they would walk you through (only on the phone though).

To perform operation:
-Turn all computers off.
-Unplug your router.
-Unplug your modem.

Now wait about 1-2 minutes.

First, plug the modem in. Wait for your lights to come on.

Second, plug your router in, again wait for the lights.

Finally, turn on your computer and see if there's an internet connection.

If this does not solve it, you may need to call your ISP and have them check it out; your internet may be down in your area they can check this and verify it for you.

I hope this helps.

-Cam

Edited by CamTheMan, 19 April 2008 - 01:13 PM.

L3Push

L3Push

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Plug the Modem (USB) Cord to my computer?

Because before I reformatted, all that was needed was my ethernet cord which connected router to modem.

L3Push

L3Push

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I also forgot the mention that, I tried having the USB cord to my computer and router connected to the modem at the same time, and the Internet doesn't work that way

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Because before I reformatted, all that was needed was my ethernet cord which connected router to modem.

Right

If you want wireless it should go:

Modem>Enthernet>router>Wireless to PC

For a direct connection:
Modem ~usb~ ->PC

Now what you had before the reformat was wireless. That's what were trying to fix.

To answer your question

Let's do the wireless connections since that's what you use before. Once you set it up for the wireless, do the power refresh.

I do have a question, why are you using the USB/Ethernet cord? Whynot just use a plan Ethernet cord?

Edited by CamTheMan, 19 April 2008 - 01:25 PM.

L3Push

L3Push

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I do have a question, why are you using the USB/Ethernet cord? Whynot just use a plan Ethernet cord?

I'm not sure, but when I used Wireless before reformat, I never needed to use the USB cord. All that was needed was the ethernet cord to connect router->modem so it gave me wireless access.

But now, since wireless isn't working after reformat, I have no choice but to at least use the USB for internet access.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio and I went to the website

http://esupport.sony...amp;region_id=1

I got the Intel 2200BG wireless thing and installed that because i needed a driver for wireless

And that power refresh didn't work for me.

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

I also forgot the mention that, I tried having the USB cord to my computer and router connected to the modem at the same time, and the Internet doesn't work that way

No I'll try and explain the setup a little better sorry for the bad display in my recent post.

Alright I'm a little confused if your using the USB/Ethernet cord adapter or just using a Ethernet so I'm going to explain both ways.

The way your trying: (with usb explained)

First this is the way with USB: (you cannot have wireless with the usb, because there is no usb port on the router)

Plug the modem part of the cord into the modem; then plug the USB into the computer this will enable you to have a direct connect and no wireless.

For the wireless you need at least one Ethernet cord here'san example of what it looks like:
Posted Image

WIRELESS SETUP YOU NEED:
(This is probably your old setup with wireless)

First, Plug one end of your Ethernet cord into the Modem.

Second, plug the other end of the Ethernet cord into the internet port on your Linksys Router.

Third, now your modem is giving your internet to the router to be sent from the router wirelessly.

Forth, now we connect your laptop wirelessly to the router, so use your wireless utility and connect to it. If you have any other computers you want wired into the router you'll need another Ethernet cord, plug one end of it the router the other end to the back on the computer.

Now if you have other computers that aren't wireless capable you'll need to plug an Ethernet from that non wireless computer inot one of the ports on the back of the router.

Now once your connected wireless to that router, and you're sure the ports are plugged in correctly and your not getting any internet connection from the computers hooked or wirelessly on your network try a power refresh like I've stated in the above post.

Edited by CamTheMan, 19 April 2008 - 01:38 PM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

I'm not sure, but when I used Wireless before reformat, I never needed to use the USB cord. All that was needed was the ethernet cord to connect router->modem so it gave me wireless access.

But now, since wireless isn't working after reformat, I have no choice but to at least use the USB for internet access.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio and I went to the website

http://esupport.sony...amp;region_id=1

I got the Intel 2200BG wireless thing and installed that because i needed a driver for wireless

And that power refresh didn't work for me.

Alright, I understand your issue now. Sorry that it took me a while to understand.

Please read me post above.

L3Push

L3Push

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Haha okay, just read. Power refresh didn't work for me though (i did around 5 minutes ago, maybe)

And yes, that's how I used to set up my wireless connection.

The thing that's weird is that under control panel-> network connections, I had Internet Enabled as well as Wireless Connection

But I think I am missing the correct drivers. As I stated, I need to install the Intel Wireless Connection Agent, but I don't know where...

EDIT: I do have the Ethernet Cord.

I also posted on another forums, and I had a response

the router and modem won't work because there is always complications regarding the bridging setup or password or access restrictions or dns servers or or or... because most typical users don't take the time and effort to configure their hardware properly.

Moderm modems these days are really a disguised router with just one ethernet port etc... but you still have to configure it as a router - router connection which is a real [bleep] on home user routers.

What does this quote mean? Could this be a possible problem?

Edited by L3Push, 19 April 2008 - 01:40 PM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Haha okay, just read. Power refresh didn't work for me though (i did around 5 minutes ago, maybe)

And yes, that's how I used to set up my wireless connection.

The thing that's weird is that under control panel-> network connections, I had Internet Enabled as well as Wireless Connection

But I think I am missing the correct drivers. As I stated, I need to install the Intel Wireless Connection Agent, but I don't know where...

EDIT: I do have the Ethernet Cord.

I'll look at thier website and see if I can find the Intel driver, but I am suspecting it's the wiring setup we have right now that may be causing this.

What is your setup right now modem with the usb going into your computer? And nothing is in the Ethernet port on the modem?

L3Push

L3Push

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

What is your setup right now modem with the usb going into your computer? And nothing is in the Ethernet port on the modem?

Yes, because I can't go on via wireless, I am using a modem with USB going into my computer :)

No ethernet is on the modem (as of now)

Edited by L3Push, 19 April 2008 - 01:46 PM.