Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'd like to Copyright my website.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I'm trying to start a computer repair business and am in the midst of working on my website (still needs work). I put the Copyright information at the bottom of my page, but someone told me that you can't just do that.

Is he right? Are there actual steps to getting a copyright for a website? Or, can I just leave up the copyright information I already have?

My address is: www.cyberhive.biz

In addition to the copyright information, I'll be glad to read any other information you might have that could make my site better.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi magusbuckley

Congrats on your site (=

Check this out:
10 Big Myths about copyright explained

I'm not to sure on posting live links that offer paid computer help.

I hope this helps you (:

Edited by CamTheMan, 19 April 2008 - 10:21 AM.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
hi magusbuckley,

If you will allow me to be picky, my only suggestion would be maybe to have your announcements and news written in a different font, as I find it difficult to read.

Other than that good job!

Edited by Suerte, 19 April 2008 - 11:12 AM.

Sockdown

Sockdown

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
Nice work magusbuckley!

The only thing, which I think is what Suerte is talking about, is the kind of blueish background with black font. Maybe, a more whiteish kind of color would be better to read. Like the title, but no the same color of couse. I like the graphic and the mix of colors. Again, good job! :)

-Sockdown-

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thank you all for the responses. From the link CamTheMan posted, it seems as if I'm OK to leave my copyright information on my site. Thanks for the information.

I know there are rules about posting links to sites that make money, but I think we can all realize that my site falls into a different catagory. For one, I don't have ANY advertisements on my site. Second, the work I do only pertains to people on the Mississippi Gulf Coast so I doubt any of you will feel as if I'm pushing my services on you. And third, if you can only ask for assistance about personal pages, how boring would that be? It's extremely rare this day and age to find a site that isn't trying to make money in some shape, form, or fashion. I hope this clears my good name from CamTheMan's naughty list. It's really not that big a deal. I really just wanted to know about the copyright anyway.

But, for those of you who did comment on the site, I can assure you that the blue background of my main table will be changing soon. I can see the words clearly on my calibrated Samsung 204t monitor at home, but realized that I had difficuties reading it on other machines because the blue was too dark to sit behind a black font. To take it a step further, my best friend has a wide screen monitor and complained that the white background is a bit much. My site, you see, sits in a table that was designed to fit a screen resolution of 1024 x 768. As such, I'm about to change many of the colors on my site, including the background color. I'll do a better job of that next go round. The updates should be posted by the end of next week.

Again, I'm extremely sorry if I've broken any rules or offended anyone here. That surely is not my intent.

Thanks,

Magus

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I'm glad it helped those top 10 myths about Copyright really amazed me when I read them for the first time.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure you do not have to worry I just know some people have gotten in trouble for posting in that way.

Your cool in my book :)