Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

copy and rename multiple files automatically

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi, i'm looking for a freeware program or technique to use to make a copy of multiple files renaming them in the process without changing their directory.

I have about 180 folders in my music, one each artist, these contain subfolders for each album of that particular artist. Each album folder has a hidden .jpeg file used as album art set by and recognised by my zune software for my zune mp3 player. I want to make a copy of each of these pics renaming them all as folder.jpg so that windows media player can use the album art image too. As each image is specific to an album the directory must not be changed and i want to retain the original image as well.

Basically i would like to have two copies of the same image in each folder so that the two programs can use the relevant file as album art. It would take hours to do this manually as i have about 350 albums so does anyone know of a way i can do this automatically or maybe a freeware utility that could do it for me?

Thanks
Sam

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I like this one.
there are many though if you do a search for them.
Do a search at donationcoder.com and you get a lot of info on the topic as welll as programs.

http://www.sherrodco...FileRenamer.cfm

http://www.donationc...ms/bb/index.php

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks a lot ill give that a try :)

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi again, i've obtained a copy of file renamer but i can't seem to find out what to do to solve my problem. Have you experience with the application? How would i go about doing what i descibed in my previous post?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Just follow the instructions in the help file.
It takes a bit to get a handle on it.
Just chose the folders or files by checking them on the left.
Choose browse to select files and folders destinations.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I've pretty much sussed it, i can get all the files that i want renamed, but i can't do this and copy them in the process, so that i keep the original file as well.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
It has the option to copy or move in the upper right corner.

Perhaps this one isn't the best for you.
Did you find any others?

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
yeah, i've played around with those options but it still seems to delete the originals. I'll give it another go in a minute or two. Thanks for your help

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Still stuck...heres a screenshot of what i've selected, am i missing something?

Posted Image

Keithwill

Keithwill

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! Try using "KrojamSoftBatchRenameFiles Tool" at http://BatchRenameFiles.org