Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Intense Sporatic Lag

• Please log in to reply

Redlazer

Redlazer

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Greetings,

I built my girlfriend a computer for gaming. She plays two MMO's, Shadowbane and WoW with me. (Man am i ever lucky : ). But im not here to brag. hehe.

Despite my best attempts and knowledge (which is reasonable but limited : D), i cannot find the source of these hangups.

Its a AMD based machine running 512mb of PC3200 ram (Dual Channel). I believe its a 1.8ghz, or a 1.2ghz, but theres shouldnt be a huge difference between the two, really. Also running a Geforce FX 5700, and i just updated with the new Det drivers. Also a Maxtor 40gb hdd... no idea the other specs of it, but i suspect this is the central problem.

It happens whenever there is intense loading, however, i know for a fact it is not just the usual loading lag. The mouse completely dissapears for roughly 30 seconds or longer. No problems with it not coming back however, but it appears to have locked. No KB input, nothing.

Today it seems to be hapenning at random intervals, even those in which there would be no loading.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the CPU temp is reported as being extremely high (40c) but i get no hang ups, other than the current ones. Are these related? I have tried MANY ways to get the CPU temp down, but none have worked.

Also, we use a microphone for voice comms. Were using a Sound Blaster 24-bit. How can we make it so we dont hear ourself over the microphone?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

-Red

Edited by Redlazer, 25 April 2005 - 06:42 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Red,

40C for a cpu temp is very good, is that correct or did you mistype? Temps would have been my first question but if its 40c you are ok.

Try running memtest86 for at least 3 passes and post back the results.

I really need to know what motherboard power supply and ram you have so if you could find this info I could offer other advice

How long have you had this computer and has it done this from day 1.

Rick

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Well, as far as CPU temp goes, i was alarmed because my CPU temp was usually around 30c for a AMD Athlon XP 1.8ghz, and now my Athlon64 3000+ runs at about 20-30c. Also, 40c is the lowest CPU temp threshold, which also caught my attention. However, if you insist : )

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2, and has two sticks of PC3200 DDR at 256mb each (Elixer is the brand), and the PS is an Antec 400w.

The machine worked fine with my comp, but the only same thing in that was the mobo and cpu. Note that the CPU also did not hit threashold temp in my machine.

Thanks again.

-Red

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
bump : )

-Red

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You mentioned the ram is running in dual channel, is it a dual channel kit sometimes called a matched pair?

Go into bios and set the dram clock to 166 mhz it is most likely now set at spd or 200mhz, if you set it to 166 you will be running it at the same speed as the cpu.

This is called in sync, Amd systems like the cpu/fsb and ram to run in sync and I always recommend trying this when there are stability issues.

let me know how it works

Rick

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Its not a specific dual-channel kit, however they are two identical stick of ram purchased at the same time from the same vendor. Might swap that ram with mine and see if it makes a difference, although it would be logical for there to be a difference i suppose, because i have 1 gig whereas she has 512mb.

Looking in CMOS, i see a few settings here....

System Performance was set to Normal, ill try Turbo and see if that helps.
FSB is 100mhz
CPU Interface is "Agressive"
Mem Freq is Auto
Mem Timings is "Agressive"
CAS Latency is set at 2.0 (i have a hunch the latency for the ram is 2.0, but that is one thing im not terribly familiar with)

btw, what is CPU Thermal Throttling? Its set at 50.0%, and my comp has it too, but i dont know what it is.

Also, the AGP APerture size is set at 64mb, which is half the on-card video ram. I think thats the best setting, is that correct?

-Red

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Leave the ram be for now, I downloaded your manual. From what you have told me your bios settings are all wrong.

The thermal throttling is not mentioned in the manual or in the easy tune manual either so I don't know exactly how to set it you'll have to explain as we go.

Thermal throttling slows down your cpu when the temp reaches a certain limit by lowering the fsb, your fsb is at 100 mhz and it should be at 166 mhz. Amd cpu's ideal temps are 40c at idle and no more than 60c at full load so set the hi limit at 60c for this and see if the fsb is then at 166 mhz were it should be, if not let me know because a bios ajustment is needed

If this is a bios feature don't forget to save when you exit.

Set the Mem freq to "by spd"
Mem timings, back off 1 from agressive what ever it is called I ain't sure

These 2 settings are most likely your problem but you need to get the fsb right to take full advantage of the cpu's speed.

Any questions post back, let me know how this works

Rick

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
ok i ll check those.

I was partially aware of the fsb being incorrect, but i recall attempting to set it right with the jumpers, but it would not boot.

-Red

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hmmm I'll check on that but I don't think there are any jumpers for the fsb its done thru bios

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes there is a jumper set the jumper labled CLK_RATIO to auto and the jumper labled CLK_SW to on for the correct setting for your cpu

Advertisements

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
got the FSB set correctly but the dip switches had no effect. I changed it in the BIOS.

CPU is now accuratley recognized as a 2800+ (thanks!)

It seems to be hanging. Not sure yet, may just be slow....

-Red

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Yep, computer now hangs during bootup at random intervals.

-Red

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok now that the cpu is correct you may have to ajust the dram clock, remember when I told you to set mem freq to "by spd" with this setting the dram clock would be set to 200 mhz.

If the system hangs change the dram clock to user define and enter a value of 166 mhz or you might have to do it this way, under mem freq , set mem freq manually, enter 83% or 85% witch ever it allows.

What about the mem timings did you back off them?

This is a complicated board I have worked on one on this forum before with similar problems and we got it working just fine. BTW I do like the board and its features I might just look into a gigabyte the next time I build one for myself.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I have to go now I'll be back tomarrow eve, there seems to be differences in what you tell me and what I am reading in the manual so if you could double check and list your

Cpu is it a 2800+
Mobo is it a GA-7N400V Pro 2
Ram pc 3200

Just want to be sure

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Your list is accurate.

set mem Freq to 83%
Mem Timings are now set to normal:
T(ras) 6
T(rcd) 3
t(rp) 3
Cas Latency 2.5

Says the resulting frequency is 278mhz... which doesnt sound right. However this is moving above and beyond my expertise......

Rebooting....

Getting a single long beep. Memory issue.

It very much disagrees with your settings : )

Ill try and play with it and get a solid setting....

much love goes to the clear cmos jumper....

Boots to windows at 50% Mem Freq....
Boots to windows at 60% mem freq....
Fails at 66% at 222mhz.

Final bootable settings are:

System Settings - Manual.
FSB - 166 (can be changedin increments of 1)
Mem Frequency - 60% (can be changed in percents from 50,60,66,75,80,83,100,120,125,133,150,166,200,auto)
Resulting Frequency - Not a changeable setting. Changes when i modify the FSB and Mem Freq.
Mem Timings - Turbo - alters the tras, trcd, trp, and CAS latency. Can also be set manually.
AGP Settings, (frequency, 8x support, Fast Write)
CPU Thermal Throttling (What would disabling this change? Curious for my computer.)

Thanks a LOT for your help Doby.

-Red