Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Move system files

• Please log in to reply

PARIAH

PARIAH

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Now we've all come to accept that when defragging your HD those files represented by the green areas can't be moved... I'm here to question that

I loathe, hate, abhor, despise, and detest windows' habit of always putting these files in the middle of the blasted partition- when we defrag and move everything else to the beginning we end up not being able to cut the partition until AFTER THE SYS/NTFS SYSTEM! so annoying!

I have a 10G HD and these files are almost 3/4 into the disk... that's right, the green bars are 3/4 to the right.... and all my files are at the front of the HD... and I need one or two partitions (albeit not large ones) for my linux and possibly Win2k....

Why, why, WHY are we not allowed to move these?

surely a program can be made to move then and automatically update any references in the registry/mbr/dynamic link library? A lengthy process, perhaps, but possible certainly!

Why can't we do it? Give me a good reason... or better still a link to SW that can do it (move these files to the front of the partition in a manner not unlike that defrag uses and update any needed files)...

if I ever get into school to learn programming, I'm making this a priority...

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Good reason -- those files are currently in use by Windows (swap or paging file for example, which represents the largest portion of the green area). Since Windows Disk Defragmenter only runs from within Windows it can't touch it, nor can any other "Windows only" defrag utility. To solve the problem you need to buy a commercial product which has an option to run before Windows loads.

THe Windows Disk Defragmenter is a 'lite' version of 'Diskeeper'. The full version (probably the 'pro' version) allows defragging at boot time:
http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp

I believe "O&O Defrag" also has a 'boot time' defrag option:
http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/