Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to html - PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

sano1

sano1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
HI I AM TOTALY NEW TO ALL THIS AND REALLY NEED SOME HELP
I have made some html code for my website to display a form, i used w3schools.com for guidance.
The form is to be filled in on my web page and then emailed to me.
I am using mailmyform.com for email proccesing.
Below is the html can anyone show me what is wrong with it????

<form method="post" action="http://submit.mailmyform.com" name="mailmyform_form" enctype="multipart/form-data">
<input type="hidden" name="mailmyform_username" value="sano1">
<form>
<p><font size="2" face="tahoma" color="DimGray">
<b>
Your Name:
<br>
<input type="text" name="Your Name">
<br>
Your E-mail Address:
<br>
<input type="text" name="Your E-mail Address">
<br>
Your Telephone Number:
<br>
<input type="text" name="Your Telephone Number">
<br>
Your Enquiry:
<br>
<textarea rows="8" cols="30">
</textarea>
<br>
How would you like us to reply?
<br>
<form action="">
<select name="How would you like us to reply?">
<option value="telephone">Telephone</option>
<option value="e-mail">E-mail</option>
</select>
<br>
How did you find us?
<br>
<form action="">
<select name="How did you find us?">
<option value="you were recommended to me">You were recommended to me</option>
<option value="google search">Google search</option>
<option value="yahoo search">Yahoo search</option>
<option value="another search engine">Another search engine</option>
</select>
</b>
</font></p>
</form>
<form action="">
<input type="button" value="Click here to submit">
</form>
</body>
</html>
</form>

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO REPLYS :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
One, you have too many form tags. Just an opening and closing tag needs to be used for the form being filled out including all its function like error checks, thank you page and emailing you the info. Only new set of form tags are needed when you have a new and separate function to be processed. In other words, don't nest your form tags.

You have a closing form tag outside the closing html tag.

ERRORS:

# Line 14, Column 5: required attribute "ACTION" not specified .

<form>

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt" attribute is required for the "img" element.

Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and type="text/javascript" for <script>.
# Error Line 14, Column 5: document type does not allow element "FORM" here .

<form>

The element named above was found in a context where it is not allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements -- such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error).
# Error Line 36, Column 15: document type does not allow element "FORM" here .

<form action="">

The element named above was found in a context where it is not allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements -- such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error).
# Error Line 44, Column 15: document type does not allow element "FORM" here .

<form action="">

# Error Line 51, Column 3: end tag for "FORM" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this .

</b>

* You forgot to close a tag, or
* you used something inside this tag that was not allowed, and the validator is complaining that the tag should be closed before such content can be allowed.

The next message, "start tag was here" points to the particular instance of the tag in question); the positional indicator points to where the validator expected you to close the tag.
# Info Line 44, Column 0: start tag was here .

<form action="">

# Error Line 51, Column 3: end tag for "FORM" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this .

</b>

* you used something inside this tag that was not allowed, and the validator is complaining that the tag should be closed before such content can be allowed.

The next message, "start tag was here" points to the particular instance of the tag in question); the positional indicator points to where the validator expected you to close the tag.
# Info Line 36, Column 0: start tag was here .

<form action="">

# Error Line 54, Column 15: document type does not allow element "FORM" here .

<form action="">

# Error Line 62, Column 6: end tag for "FORM" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this .

</body>

# Info Line 12, Column 0: start tag was here .

<form method="post" action="http://submit.mailmyform.com" name="mailmyform_form"

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 19 April 2008 - 07:07 PM.

sano1

sano1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Ron,
Thank you for relpying.
I really dont have much of a clue to all of this.... but i am trying

Do you mean take all the <form> tags apart from first one <form> and last one </form> ?
And does this include to take out the <form action=""> ones as well ??

Appreciate the help :)

sano1

sano1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Blimey , now u have added that it all seems wrong.
I dont really understand how i can apply what you are saying :)
I built my websitesite using "CoffeeCup - Visual Site Designer" and have never edited html before. Tonite i have just started this by using w3schools.com info on writing html, but it looks like i got it all wrong.
Is there anyway you could explain to me exactly what i need to edit to make it work?
Thanks for help so far :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sure. Give me some time to get back to you on this and I'll help you through it. A link to your online site may help, too, when I look it over.

Ron

sano1

sano1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Ron,

I dont have my site published on the web yet, i am just publishing a blank page with this form on it to test it then i unpublish it after testing. If you need me to and it would help get this problem i have with the form resolved i will publish it and leave it up (i just dont want it indexed by search engines yet as i have a few other sites with links to it, i would like to complete this site before i publish and leave published) Let me know.
AGAIN.... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Stuart

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Without out seeing if this will process your form or not, try this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html><head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<title></title>
<meta name="description" content="">
<meta name="keywords" content="">
<meta name="author" content="">
<meta name="generator" content="Matrix Y2K from van IJperen Software Inc. - http://www.crystalfibers.com">
</head>
<body>
<div style="width: 80%; margin: 2% auto; font-family: tahoma; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: bold; color: #696969;">

<form method="post" action="http://submit.mailmyform.com" name="mailmyform_form" enctype="multipart/form-data">
<div><input type="hidden" name="mailmyform_username" value="sano1"></div>

<p>Your Name:<br><input type="text" name="Your Name"></p>
<p>Your E-mail Address:<br><input type="text" name="Your E-mail Address"></p>

<p>Your Telephone Number:<br><input type="text" name="Your Telephone Number"></p>

<p>Your Enquiry:<br><textarea rows="8" cols="30"></textarea></p>

<p>How would you like us to reply?<br>

<select name="How would you like us to reply?">
<option value="telephone">Telephone</option>
<option value="e-mail">E-mail</option>
</select></p>

<p>How did you find us?<br>

<select name="How did you find us?">
<option value="you were recommended to me">You were recommended to me</option>
<option value="google search">Google search</option>
<option value="yahoo search">Yahoo search</option>
<option value="another search engine">Another search engine</option>
</select></p>

<p><input type="button" value="Click here to submit"></p>
</form>
</div>
</body></html>

Not sure if you will have to add hidden tags and field names for your other options as I don't know what form processor is doing.

Ron

sano1

sano1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ron thanks for all the help,
I used the html you have given me and it displays fine but when click the submit button nothing happens.
Its 10 past 4 in the morning here in england and i hav now had enough , i need sleep , cant believe i try a simple thing like add a form in html and i been up nearly all night.
I really appreciate the effort u have put in to help me, any other ideas i would love to hear.
(the reason i am trying to do this with mailmyform.com is because i purchased coffecup form builder but i am hosted with fasthosts and it doesnt work unless u create scripts like php ect.. because fasthosts dont like mail from webpage hosted with them unless is in and out of a email address with them that has been set up with php and i dont understand how to do it...... thier support litrature is great..... if u are like an expert programer :) i have now spent like 3 days going round in circles :)
Thx best regards, stuart.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. Didn't think it would work because the action="" attribute is to action="http://submit.mailmyform.com and I couldn't check the action online. Will add a Form making site for you later which is much easier to use.

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Pick the form you like to make here: http://www.thesitewizard.com/

Ron

sano1

sano1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ron,
I have used thesitewizard.com as you kindly advised and followed the instuctions exactly.
The form displays fine, the error page comes up if form filled in incorrectly and when send feedback button is clicked the thank you page comes up fine !! THERE IS A MAJOR PROBLEM THOUGH...........
i DONT RECIEVE THE EMAIL, I THINK THIS IS BECAUSE MY WEB HOST (as i mentioned in post#8) WILL NOT ALLOW EMAILS SENT FROM A WEB PAGE UNLESS THERE IS SOME SORT OF SCRIPT SETUP IN MY ACCOUNT TO ENABLE THIS....... THE PROBLEM FOR ME IS THAT I AM VERY NEW TO ALL OF THIS AND THE FASTHOSTS SUPPORT CLEARLY STATES THEY "WILL NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR SCRIPTING".
I HAVE READ THE KNOWLEDGE-BASE ARTICLES THEY PROVIDE TO HELP WITH SCRIPTING FOR "FORM TO MAIL" AND I AM HAVING BIG PROBLEMS UNDERSTANDING EXACTLY WHAT IT ALL MEANS AND WHAT I NEED TO DO TO MAKE IT WORK. Following are the articles i think are relevant:

http://support.fasth...SPscripting.pdf - (i dont understand this but i think my problem lies within this info and i need to implement what they are saying but i just dont get exactly what i have to do.)

http://www.fasthosts.../?article_id=65
http://www.fasthosts.../?article_id=70
http://www.fasthosts...?article_id=123

I maybe asking a bit much here but would you (or anyone else that understands my problem) be able to look at these knowledge-base articles and possibly explain to me what it all means so i can implement what they are saying and get my form to work????????????????

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME MORE HELP (SEEING THIS FORM UP AND WORKING ...ALL APART FROM SENDING ME THE EMAIL.... IS A STEP FORWARD BUT AS IM SURE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND I NEED IT TO SEND THE EMAILS TO ME!!

KIND REGARDS
STUART

Edited by sano1, 20 April 2008 - 09:32 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Let me look into this in depth and get back to you. A suggestion: You could set up an GMail email account and set GMail's Options to forward the emails it receives to your fasthosts email account. That would work as I use the form on other sites to do this when clients want a forwarding to a different email address.

Just use GMail's email address on the MailForm you just made. Reason I suggest this is fasthosts' SMTP filter:

Fasthosts redirects all web based mail to an SMTP Filter System. Emails must have either a valid "from" or "to" address which is a mailbox hosted with Fasthosts. Any email that does not fulfil this criterion will not be delivered. If you are sending email to a customer who has given you his email address, you need to use the domain name of your website

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 20 April 2008 - 03:36 PM.