Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus security

• Please log in to reply

luciapwns

luciapwns

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Does downloading new security updates for your virus security programs slow down how long it takes to boot your computer??? Ive noticed a considerable difference in boot times since i first got my computer, mostly it takes awhile to boot my virus protection program (Trend Micro Pc-cillin). Another thing is can you delete old updates and does it automaticlly delete old updates

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

An increase in Windows loading time will be caused by installing any program which adds an item to your startup list. Some of these startup items aren't essential so you need to to keep an eye on them and disable those you know you don't need. Windows now has (finally) a decent way to control your startup items in Vista:
Control Panel-->Performance Information and Tools, and then click on Manage Startup Programs on the left.

Updating your antivirus should not increase your Windows loading time. As for the virus definition updates themselves, they simply 'add' new virus definitions to your existing ones, so there's nothing to delete. You don't end up with several virus definition files, only one that is constantly updated. At least that's how my AV package does it (Kaspersky).

You should remember also to 'defragment' your system drive regularly since fragmentation (files being spread all over different areas of the disk instead of being in one block) can increase Windows loading time as well as slowing down performance generally).

Also, some antivirus packages slow down your PC more than others (slower loading time and/or slower performance). The only way to address that is to consider changing to a different package.