Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Windows XP/Firefox Bugs

• Please log in to reply

Deranged Soul

Deranged Soul

• Pip
  • 4 posts
As of the last 2 months, Windowx XP has been running buggy on me. Now I don't know if this is an issue with my web browser or XP, but when I have a lot of Firefox [version 2.0.0.14] windows open (mind you, I've had this computer for about 4 years and I always run a lot of windows while browsing)...

- My right-click menu doesn't appear
- The top menu bars on all XP windows go transparent
- My Start menu icons go black or have a black background (EXAMPLE: http://i15.photobuck...gedSoul/vew.jpg )
- My processor fan runs a lot faster

And all of this goes away once I close a few browser windows. In addition, when I attempt to open the Windows Task Manager, I get this message: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000012d)." I feel like it could be a problem with my memory. I added a 512MB stick a few months back, making it 1GB, so I don't what the issue might be.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Remove the 512MB memory stick you added and see if the problem goes away. If not, put it back and remove the other one. This is an easy way to check if you are having memory problems (I mean computer memory, not personal :))

Deranged Soul

Deranged Soul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm running on the original two 256 memory sticks right now, so I'll see how it works out.

One other thing I failed to mention: I was working with MS Paint to paste in that screen shot I posted above and I had too many Firefox windows open again, so when I attempted to paste the picture I got an error saying I didn't have enough memory or resources (something along those lines). Could it be that I just need more memory if I wish to continue constantly opening so many windows? Because otherwise my system runs fine as is.

I might just need "MOAR RAM!1!!" haha

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Set your Memory to 'System Managed'.
Open Control Panel
System
Advanced tab
Performance-Settings button
Advanced tab
Virtual Memory change button
Click System managed size
Click set button
Click OK
OK
OK

That should fix any 'out of memory' problems no matter if it's 256 or more.

Deranged Soul

Deranged Soul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, I tried all these ideas and they don't seem to help. I did notice however that once I set my virtual memory to "System managed size," I was limited on how many windows I could actually open. I hope this is just a memory issue (and I could just install more RAM) because I'd hate to get a completely new computer (I'm running a 4 year old VAIO desktop). :)

I don't know if this helps, but when I set my Virtual Memory, under "Total paging file size for all drives," it reads:

Minimum allowed: 2 MB
Recommended: 1534 MB
Currently allocated: 1535 MB