Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Satisfied yet Confused HELP

• Please log in to reply

haunted4life

haunted4life

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys am looking for building a new rig within this week. Am not going to be ocing or go for an SLI OR Crossfire, since I aint a big gamer, already have an Xbox 360 and prefer console gaming. All I need is a really stable system at the same time relatively good processing power. I need this for working on 3d animation and vfx. The following are the things am looking at right now, please feel free to comment or suggest something else. But yeah there is one problem since I am in India there are a few restrictions to what I can get in the market. :)

However I am adding the prices in usd ($), for two reasons. One you can laugh at the prices I need to pay and 2 you can probably guide me by telling me, if the same is worth the price I pay in difference to another.

Processor: Q6600 priced at about 275 $ or Q9450 420 $ for an OEM pack i.e. with no heat sink

Motherboard: Maximus Formula priced at 380 $ (pls keep in mind Asus/Intel/Gigabyte are my only options)

Graphics card: Xfx 9800 Gtx or xfx 8800 Gts 512 xxx edition. Both cost the same 455 $

Ram: pretty much no options here. So getting Transcend 2 x 2 gb 800 Mhz rams 88 $.

Hdd: Western Digital WD5000AAKS for 120 $ or could get any other like Hitachi/Segate for roughly the same price.

Monitor: Dell SP2208WFP 22”, already placed an order for this costs me 400 $ another option I did have was LG L226WTQ

Case : Antec 900 Gaming Chassis for 160 usd. My only options here are Antec and Cooler master and do I really need this case, cause the cost of the complete rig is going a little overboard. But again if this is what I need then I will live with the cost I guess.

Psu : Corsair Hx620 for about 180 $ or Cooler master extreme power 650 for 125 $

Sorry if the post turned out too long or boring, oh well not really sorry but guess had to say it anyways kiddin :) . Hope to hear something from you guys.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go!

So far your build looks pretty good. Some suggestions:

1) No SLI / Crossfire = get a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. These are a fantastic motherboard for the price.

2) For hard drives, Seagate come with a 5-year warranty, so I would choose it over the other brands.

3) There's plenty of debate about a good case, it really comes down to personal preference. The Antec 900 is a good choice, the Cooler Master 690 is a bit cheaper and also a good choice.

4) For the PSU, definitely go for the Corsair!

5) And lastly, don't forget you'll need an optical drive (like a DVD Burner) and an OS (Windows) licence in that build!

Cheers

Troy

haunted4life

haunted4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go!

So far your build looks pretty good. Some suggestions:

1) No SLI / Crossfire = get a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. These are a fantastic motherboard for the price.

2) For hard drives, Seagate come with a 5-year warranty, so I would choose it over the other brands.

3) There's plenty of debate about a good case, it really comes down to personal preference. The Antec 900 is a good choice, the Cooler Master 690 is a bit cheaper and also a good choice.

4) For the PSU, definitely go for the Corsair!

5) And lastly, don't forget you'll need an optical drive (like a DVD Burner) and an OS (Windows) licence in that build!

Cheers

Troy

1) Yeah I have heard good stuff from others too about that board, I sure will check it out :)

2) Yeah but the review places I checked up WD always did a notch better than Segate, will check more on it as well thanks

3) Yeah but Cooler Master 690 doesnt seem to have enough cooling solution like the antec 900. But then again do I need so many fans inside ?

4) At last something you agree with me on hehe

5) Yeah will get probably 2 DVD Burners and am looking at the Xp X64 version, since I might upgrade my ram up to 6 or 8 Gb, any comments here ?

Thanks for your time, real thankful :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

I do believe if you're looking for the fastest hard drives, the Samsung F1 drives are it at the moment, but you'd need to double-check that.

XP Pro x64 was rather buggy and had poor support, Vista x64 would be a much better bet for compatibility.

The Cooler Master 690 is a good case and has space for up to 7 fans, more than enough for your needs... It comes with 3 installed (if memory serves me right), which should be fine to get good in-case airflow.

Lastly, why would you need so much RAM? 4GB is plenty for now, I would suggest grabbing the one 2x2GB kit, and if you find you're maxing out your RAM and need more, then grab another identical 2x2GB kit.

Oh, and two DVD Burners? :) You do lots of burning at the same time? :) How about a floppy drive? :)

Cheers

Troy

haunted4life

haunted4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi again,

I do believe if you're looking for the fastest hard drives, the Samsung F1 drives are it at the moment, but you'd need to double-check that.

XP Pro x64 was rather buggy and had poor support, Vista x64 would be a much better bet for compatibility.

The Cooler Master 690 is a good case and has space for up to 7 fans, more than enough for your needs... It comes with 3 installed (if memory serves me right), which should be fine to get good in-case airflow.

Lastly, why would you need so much RAM? 4GB is plenty for now, I would suggest grabbing the one 2x2GB kit, and if you find you're maxing out your RAM and need more, then grab another identical 2x2GB kit.

Oh, and two DVD Burners? :) You do lots of burning at the same time? :) How about a floppy drive? :)

Cheers

Troy

Hey Troy, lol seems to me you are the sole reader of my post on here hehe thanks for that :)

1) Will check on Samsung's F1 drives, and post up later my finds

2) If you think vista is better than I guess I will settle down with that

3)Problem is the same when shipped here comes with only one 120 mm from what I have heard.

4)Yup will be going with 2GB sticks :) but issue is rendering and using stuff like maya and 3ds max hog up all the memory you have without a bottleneck and so the more the better there.

5)lol What do I do if I want to do a dvd to dvd, lol yeah I know I could make an image file but am too lazy for that :) and just a normal dvd drive is pretty much going to cost the same, so would rather just go with the burner :)

6) laugh your [bleep] off dude but am going with a floppy drive too, cause each time I feel like :) floppy is the only option and again I could do a lot with stuff like nlite and put in the drivers along with the cd or at other times too but didnt I tell you am lazy :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Just a note... there's nothing wrong with adding a floppy drive. I know many MANY hard-core Geeks who not only have them... but USE them. :)

haunted4life

haunted4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Just a note... there's nothing wrong with adding a floppy drive. I know many MANY hard-core Geeks who not only have them... but USE them. :)

Thanks Kat :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey there,

I have one too - look in the specs of my profile :) I wasn't knocking it at all, but I do think it's funny they're still used after they're all but obsolete.

Mine is a black Panasonic. :)

I will not update my BIOS unless I can do it with a floppy :)

Cheers

Troy

haunted4life

haunted4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey there,

I have one too - look in the specs of my profile :) I wasn't knocking it at all, but I do think it's funny they're still used after they're all but obsolete.

Mine is a black Panasonic. :)

I will not update my BIOS unless I can do it with a floppy :)

Cheers

Troy

It was all taken in the right spirit :) and i guess everyone finds it funny since noone uses the same unless you have no other go. Trust me you are still my fav poster, hehe don't seem to have much competition there anyways :)

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i've always been a fan of Hitachi Deskstar HDDs, really quick and never had a single problem with them :)

<3 you haunted4life :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I've never owned or used a computer with a Hitachi drive, so I have no comment here other than what I would be able to find on a Google search. I have a friend who said he's never touching them again, had bad luck with them... So go figure. I always take everything with "a grain of salt", and do my own research.

I'm sure a Hitachi drive would work just fine for you. :)

Okay, so what's next? How about some responses to my comments in post #4? (Apart from the floppy, which we've already discussed! :))

Cheers

Troy

haunted4life

haunted4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi there,

I've never owned or used a computer with a Hitachi drive, so I have no comment here other than what I would be able to find on a Google search. I have a friend who said he's never touching them again, had bad luck with them... So go figure. I always take everything with "a grain of salt", and do my own research.

I'm sure a Hitachi drive would work just fine for you. :)

Okay, so what's next? How about some responses to my comments in post #4? (Apart from the floppy, which we've already discussed! :))

Cheers

Troy

lol the answer is all there in POST # 5 hehe

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

:) I swear all that wasn't written there before! :)

For the case, then, if it does only come with one fan (I would find out from the supplier), then you'd need to grab at least another 1x 120mm to go with it.

Cheers

Troy

haunted4life

haunted4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi there,

:) I swear all that wasn't written there before! :)

For the case, then, if it does only come with one fan (I would find out from the supplier), then you'd need to grab at least another 1x 120mm to go with it.

Cheers

Troy

:) weird . . . . Anyways I will check more into the case and post it asap. So you are saying 2 120 mm fans should be good enough for the build huh :)

haunted4life

haunted4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

i've always been a fan of Hitachi Deskstar HDDs, really quick and never had a single problem with them :)

Hmmmm weird my earlier reply to you seems to have gone missing :) Anyways exactly as Troy has said I have heard mixed reviews about the same. Some just love it and others cant seem to hate it enough. Am going neutral on it, since my notebook has a hitachi and it serves me just right :)

<3 you haunted4life :)

:)