Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Installing codec .x264

• Please log in to reply

version1

version1

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

I've been having trouble for a while playing back a lot of .mkv files. According to Video Inspector I am missing codec x264 for the videos to play smoothly. Now I've obtained the codec, but It's giving me a lot of trouble to install. Apparently it's easier to create a .bat file for it, but I have no idea how to do that effectively. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Version1

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I recommend using the klite codec pack. I recommend using the standard version.

version1

version1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks, I'll try that.

version1

version1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I managed to install that particular codec but im still having problems with .mkv playback. When I attempt it, ill see a green line near the top and a red vertical line by the right side and all of the colour is gone other than that. The videos work, but they have a yellowish tint on top of all other colour being drained. Is this a codec problem or am I looking at a video card problem, or a third option I can't yet fathom?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you can try updating your video drivers. However, it could simply be a poorly encoded source file.

alternative: try using VLC media player

version1

version1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Updating my drivers hit the nail on the head! You have no idea how long I was trying to figure this one out. Thanks a million Starjax :)