Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router/modem blues...

• Please log in to reply

Pedestrian A

Pedestrian A

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

First of all I'd like to say that I really appreciate that routers/modems today are so advanced and feature-packed but, yes there's a but, they don't always live up to expectations. You see, I have a D-Link modem with firewall and all, real cool, but being a torrent junkie, I need my ports open but everytime i turn off the modem, the firewall settings get reset. Having to open my ports everytime I need them to be was a nuisance so I used an Aztech modem which wasn't programmable, etc instead. Funny thing is, my router which is also from D-Link had better memory. Unfortunately, the dream team got fried by lightning and my dad got a new Aztech router+modem. On paper its much better than the old dream team but like the D-Link modem, the only setting it would remember was my ISP's user name and password. And one more thing, for some strange reason, after a certain period of Internet usage my speed would slow down and then disconnect. I couldn't even log on to my router+modem. I don't know if the problem is with the router+modem or my new LAN card (which had to be added because, in insurance terms, the Act of God fried my mobo's LAN port too). Know, I've already emailed Aztech but I thought it might be a nice topic for discussion and besides, the probable reply I would get from Aztech is to send my router+modem back to a repair centre. So, any clues? Thanks.

Pedestrian A.
- and in case your wondering, my new router+modem is a DSL605EW. Can't remember the model of the two that got fried but if anyone wants to know just raise a hand. :)

Advertisements

Pedestrian A

Pedestrian A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oops,

My bad, the DSL605EW can save settings after all, I just missed the "Save Settings" link in the configuration page. Still, I'm having problems with my connection. I think its probably my ISP but often I can't even log on to the DSL605EW, modem or LAN card problem? Also, connecting through Wi-fi is also a on-off thing. Thanks and no, Aztech hasn't replied.