Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP reinstall won't connect to router

• Please log in to reply

Claymor

Claymor

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had a bad virus and needed to reinstall XP...did a fresh one not a recovery/repair.
Now my computer seems to be blocking the router.
(Lynksis BEFW11S4)
There are three other connections to the router that all work fine.
I have tried the following:

-Connecting my computer to a different port on the router
-Connecting using a different cable
-Connecting my computer diretly to the DSL modem (This works, I do get out to the net)
-Setting to a static Ip and manually entering DNS for the gateway (Normal setting is to find automatically)
-Turning on and off XP firewall...no effect

My LAN connection shows as a network cable disconnected. It flashes for a second as "connected" then disconnects.
It does this repeatedly with no change in behavior in any of the above mentioned conditions.
The lights on the front of the router are off, blink on when it makes its attempt to conect, then go off again.
It has the appearance of the router being somehow blocked by the computer.
Again, all other connections continue to work fine as does connecting this computer directly to the DSL modem.

What am I missing?
Thanks.

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi Claymor,

Can you check this for me:
1.Go into Network Connections tell me everything listed there, and if it's disabled/enabled.
Start->Control Panel--> Classic Mode--->Network Connections
2.Is the computer you reformatted Wireless, or wired into the router? I'm guessing wired from this statement "Connecting my computer to a different port on the router" but I want to make sure.

Thanks,
Cam

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 08:50 AM.

Claymor

Claymor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Lan high speed interenet

Local Area Connection
Network Cable unplugged (This then flashes 'enabled' then back to unplugged intermitently)
Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (LNE 100TX v4)

Yes, it is a wired connection

It seems to me that prior to XP reinstall it also showed a gateway connection but the above listed information is the only thing showing under network connections

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I was thinking we would need the driver. Could you go into deivce manger and tell me what has Red X's and Yellow Question marks?

Device Manager:
Start->Right click on My Computer-->Click Properties--->Click the Hardware Tab---->Click "Device Manager"

Thanks,
Cam

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 08:59 AM.

Claymor

Claymor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No conflicts, no X's or ?'s
everything looks good

I did the reinstall using the system restore discs I got with the computer..suprising I still had them really...and that included a drivers disc.

If it were a driver problem I would have thought that would have left me with no options. That was why I tried plugging the DSL modem directly into my compter withOUT the router in the middle...that DID work...but then my other machines would be left out in the cold.

Edited by Claymor, 20 April 2008 - 09:02 AM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Oh ok I thought you used a retail version of the operating system not the disk from your provider.

So it's not the computer since that direct connect worked.

Do you have any other computers you can try to connect into the router to check to see if the router gives them a connection.

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 09:07 AM.

Claymor

Claymor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have another compter with a wired connection to the router that I am using now...so it works.
I have an XBOX 360 with a wired connection to the router that is working fine
I have a laptop that I have connected via both wired a wireless connection to the router and that works fine either way.

For whatever reason it just seems to me that the machine in question is blocking the routers attempts to connect.
I say this only because of the intermittent "enabled" then "disconnected" thing going on.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I understand now. Thank you for that. :)

Only thing I can think of to try is this, and then I' out of suggestions we'll need to see if someone else can help. This will refresh the connection, and might fix the problem with the router. This operation is normally if your computer's aren't able t load pages.

Solution #1
First try a power refresh:
-Unplug power from the modem.(leaving all cords intact except for the power cord)
-Unplug power from the router. (leaving all cords intact except for the power cord)
-Power down all your computers so they are not trying to connect.

Wait 2-3 minutes
-Plug the power back into the modem.
Wait for lights to come on the modem.
-Plug power back into router and wait for lights.
-Turn on your computers, check for a connection.

Solution #2
Other things I can think to try:
-When you were adjusting settings it may have done something to the connection to that certain computer. You can try resetting the router to its factory settings. There should be a little hole somewhere ont eh router you will need to use a sharp pointy edge of something like a pen and hold that reset button down untill the lights flash on the router.

*when resetting the router it will reset all settings you've changed back to the factory settings and for your wireless computers you'll need to reconnect to it under it's default wireless name fr example if your wireless (SSID) was MyHouse when you reset the connection it will be Linksys or Netgear whatever the provider used when you bought it.

Solution #3
Right click on the connection that is trying to connect to the router and click repair that will refresh the caches.

I hope this helps, others will be able to help! :)

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 09:24 AM.

Claymor

Claymor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No worries...

Actually, I should have listed those options above because I tried them all as well.

Actually the "repair connection" option isn't available because the computer thinks the "network cable is unplugged" and thus there is no connection other than for that ocassional split second.

Thanks for trying!

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Maybe this will help others who come to help you.

Does this look like your router?
Posted Image

Claymor

Claymor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yep

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Thanks for that, have you tried any of the solutions I stated above while you wait for other help?

Hopefully I helped others questions about this problem.Anyway this is just a friendly bump for you :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Claymor
Please click on start>right click on my computer,left click on propertities left click on the tab computer name.
what workgroup is your computer in.
Do the same to a computer that works.
Cheers
peterm