Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Transfer to new pc

• Please log in to reply

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Is there a program that can safely transfer the entire contents of my HD to a new Pc with a blank HD.

This to include the Os, Programs, folders etc.

Present Pc is Dell Xp home Sp2 with activation code, but with no Win Cd.

Can I assume there will be no validation problems with Ms, presumably the new processor will indicate that this is not the original Pc.

I am trying to avoid Vista and as most new Pcs now come with it installed, this seems a way to keep Xp on a shop built Pc.

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The cloning isn't a problem, that's easy.
However your installation will be tied to the existing board and there's every possibility that when you connect it to the new board and fire it up, it'll show you a blue screen and refuse to do anything. To remedy this situation would require a Windows Repair from the XP CD.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
No, that would be illegal. The OEM version of XP currently on the Dell is tied to that machine and is not relocatable. You will need to buy a new copy of XP to have a legal version on the new computer.