Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quite Slow During Startup

• Please log in to reply

Dj J...

Dj J...

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Everyone,
I've got a PC running Windows XP Pro SP2 (Genuine), with 3.00GB RAM, 3.00 GHz..I've noticed, since long, that the startup of the computer is always a bit slow, when I first got it, it was really fast! I know that with time computer's start going slow cause of viruses, spyware, and basically cause of the Temp stuff..but I've got rid of all of that, basically as if its new, but its still a bit slow always..I would like to know anyway of fixing this..or any good rated program that scans for this temp stuff..and helps you get rid of useless stuff.
I've used TechTools, System Mechanic,Registry Mechanic..
Currently using Ccleaner to clear away useless stuff.

+ I think it's something to do with the Registry...maybe too much useless stuff in it!

Thanks a lot,

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Dj J welcome to G2G (= :)

I'll help you with this. :)

Here's what I'll help you with:
-Your Startup issue
-Speed and clean the PC up a little bit

What I will NOT be helping you with:
-Cleaning of your malware,spyware,viruses,etc... Our Malware Team will assist you with that.

Please download this free utility it is a portable program so theres no install just open and use.

1.Download the ATF Cleaner (above)
2.Open it, and click "Select All".
3.Click "Empty Selected"

Now to work on your Startup:
Please download this free utility called CCleaner it is just like the one above, but it has a startup tool that is useful. I do know you mentioned you have already tried it but we are going to use for another purpose then just it's cleaner. Please follow the instructions below:

1.Download (above) and open.
2.Click on the "Tools".
3.Select the "Startup" on the left.
4.It will display a list of programs that are starting with your computer. You can easily see what it is by looking at the
"Program" column.

Once you've determined which program you want to delete; click on it and then at the bottom click "Delete Entry".

If you are unsure of what to delete please post the program information in a post and we can assist you.

What to do about your Spyware,Malware,Viruses,etc..

Our malware team can assist you with this, please click here and follow all instructions. Once you have your HiJackThis log (explained in step 5) please click here and post your HiJackThis log in that post and the team will assist you.

I hope this helps and good luck and if theres anything else I can do please reply here :)

It looks like you've tried alot of software to help you with this. I've used a utility Called Tune-up utilities, however it is not free but you can try it out.

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 10:01 PM.

Dj J...

Dj J...

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Dj J welcome to G2G (= :)

I'll help you with this. :)

Here's what I'll help you with:
-Your Startup issue
-Speed and clean the PC up a little bit

What I will NOT be helping you with:
-Cleaning of your malware,spyware,viruses,etc... Our Malware Team will assist you with that.

Please download this free utility it is a portable program so theres no install just open and use.

1.Download the ATF Cleaner (above)
2.Open it, and click "Select All".
3.Click "Empty Selected"

Now to work on your Startup:
Please download this free utility called CCleaner it is just like the one above, but it has a startup tool that is useful. I do know you mentioned you have already tried it but we are going to use for another purpose then just it's cleaner. Please follow the instructions below:

1.Download (above) and open.
2.Click on the "Tools".
3.Select the "Startup" on the left.
4.It will display a list of programs that are starting with your computer. You can easily see what it is by looking at the
"Program" column.

alrite, as i said ive used Ccleaner..and Tuneup..i used that ATF thing..and followed what you said, i will give you results tmrow as i will switch on the comp again..

Thanks for the help!

Once you've determined which program you want to delete; click on it and then at the bottom click "Delete Entry".

If you are unsure of what to delete please post the program information in a post and we can assist you.

What to do about your Spyware,Malware,Viruses,etc..

Our malware team can assist you with this, please click here and follow the steps you may skip to step 5. Once you have your HiJackThis log (explained in step 5) please click here and post your HiJackThis log in that post and the team will assist you.

I hope this helps and good luck and if theres anything else I can do please reply here :)

It looks like you've tried alot of software to help you with this. I've used a utility Called Tune-up utilities, however it is not free but you can try it out.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

alrite, as i said ive used Ccleaner..and Tuneup..i used that ATF thing..and followed what you said, i will give you results tmrow as i will switch on the comp again..

Thanks for the help!

I'll wait for the results (= just remember and when you post your HiJackThis log for the Malware team they will be able to help you even more :)

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 02:52 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Dj J, exactly when during boot is it slow? Is it before the XP logo appears, when just the black screen shows after the logo, when loading your personal settings, when icons are appearing on your desktop?

Try running BootVis, see if it helps to identify where boot is performing slowly.

Dj J...

Dj J...

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Dj J, exactly when during boot is it slow? Is it before the XP logo appears, when just the black screen shows after the logo, when loading your personal settings, when icons are appearing on your desktop?

Try running BootVis, see if it helps to identify where boot is performing slowly.

its slow right after i type in the password to login..its a bit slow when goin to desktop..and then the start bar (the whole bar) and the icons take lots of time. (not mux..abt 40 sec..but i got 3GB Ram, so it shud go faster!)

ive ran bootvis before..doesnt detect nythin

Thanks

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Did any of my advice help?

If not that's okay :) just curious....

Edited by CamTheMan, 23 April 2008 - 03:16 PM.