Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A network cable is NOT unplugged

• Please log in to reply

jshapp03

jshapp03

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So my internet appears to be working fine but yesterday I was playing a game (world of warcraft) and my latency jumped from the normal 200ms to about 800ms. It appears to be jumping back and forth 200 to 800 but I can't tell for sure.

I closed the game and checked my wireless signal, its 100%. Then I noticed an icon that said "A network cable is unplugged", im pretty sure that wasn't there before. So I checked my cables, nothing is unplugged or plugged in the wrong place. When you click it it says my LAN is disconnected and my Wireless LAN is connected. I don't know if thats important cause my internet is working fine its just when I need steady connection like games.

So that's the story, heres the 3 explanations I can think of, just tell me which one you think is right or if you know another possible problem.

1. I noticed the ethernet light on my modem (goes from modem to wireless router) was blinking, I don't know if its suppose to blink but the phone and power light are solid. So I took the ethernet that goes from router to computer and switched it with the "broken" one. The light stayed solid with the new cable. But the weird thing is the light that I put the "broken" cable in was staying solid too.
Maybe I should buy a new ethernet cable for the one I think is broken? I don't know how it would just magically stop working one day though.

2. My phone line that goes from wall to modem runs across a doorway. We trip on it often. Maybe the insides are all torn apart. But wouldn't the phone light be blinking instead of that ethernet light?

3. I bought an iphone the other week and I was having troubles getting the wifi to work at home. I fiddled with some network settings on my computer but im almost positive I set them all back to normal when I figured out I was just using the wrong password. In the chance I didn't get the settings back exactly I don't think it would say "network cable unplugged". And I believe I've used my internet a few days after all this happened.

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi jshapp03

When the ethernet light blinks, it is a sign that there are data signals running through the cable.

You could try to switch the "broken" cable into another port and see if that makes any difference.

Quite often though, if you detach the network cable from both ends i.e. the LAN port on the computer and the LAN port on the router, then reattach them, that can sometimes fix an intermittent problems.

Failing that, a new ethernet cable would be the next thing to try.

I hope this helps...

jshapp03

jshapp03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried detatching all the cables and putting them back in, no change.

I just went and bought an ethernet cable, no change.

I'm truly lost, I was really hoping the "broken" ethernet was the problem.

Whats weird, I only notice the problem on the game, surfing the internet is normal.

Edited by jshapp03, 20 April 2008 - 04:44 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
if your using wireless then the lan is not connected. Hence the unplugged symbol
Disconnect/disable wireless. setup cable and then unplug symbol will go.
It can't run the lan and wireless together

jshapp03

jshapp03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well that clears up one problem :)
I thought that was the case but I couldn't remember if that icon was always there or not.

Now my game is still having problems. I'm not even sure what ms's are but I know it normally said 190ms and now its ranging 400-800ms and I don't have any other internet things running.