Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

add or remove programs

• Please log in to reply

wdh

wdh

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK im trying to free up space on my computer. Im looking in the add or remove programs list and theres some things on here which i dont know if i need. Wondering if you could help.
Java update 3

and

Java update 5
both seperate programs, would i be alright to delete the update 3? as its 100mb so quite big.

also

microsoft .NET framework 2.0 service pack 1
and
microsoft .NET framework 3.0 service pack1

can i get ride of the first one? and also i have no idea what they do. . . . .

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
keep both .nets, uninstall java update 3

download and run ccleaner if you haven't already
review what it will clean, it's pretty simple
and lots of options

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Edited by cmpm, 20 April 2008 - 11:25 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Hmm, I just checked.
There is an update 6 so uninstall both javas and download this-

http://www.filehippo...d_java_runtime/

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If a 100MB makes a difference to you then your hard drive is too small or has way to much stuff on it. Time to clean up.

Start with temporary internet files:

In Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet Options.
Under Temporary Internet Files (commonly called TIF), click on Delete Files.
Check the "Delete all offline content" box and click OK

Next, reduce the amount of space allocated to System Restore. It defaults to 12% of the drive which is way to much. Set it so you get as close to 500MB as possible. Some folks here recommend 300MB, so your choice. To change it:

Start / Settings / Control Panel.
Double click on System.
Click on the Restore tab.

Select C: then click the Settings button. Move the slider to reduce the amount, can make a big difference.

Reduce the size of the recycle bin. The default setting is 10% of the drive which is way too much.

Right click on Recycle Bin and select Properties.
Move the slider from 10% down to 2% or so. Click on C: to see how much space that will allocate. Set to 1% if it's still more than 150MB.
Click apply and OK to exit.

If you ever delete anything bigger than the defined size, you'll get a notice that it's too big to fit and do you want to delete it anyway? Just click yes and it's gone, permanently.

To see what is using space on your hard drive, install a program called SequoiaView. Gives you a great visual picture of what is using up drive space. Get it here: http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/. Before running SequoiaView, you should make all files and extensions visible. Do this by:

Control Panel / Folder Options / View Tab.
Select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
Uncheck Hide protected opeating system files [Recommended]

Also, in SequoiaView, click on View then Color and check Enable color scheme. Makes the displayed data much easier to read.

wdh

wdh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It is a lot if theyre not doing anything!!
program files dont take up much space on my computer i know that.i have over 7GB of photos and on another account is over 8GB of music so thats whats taking up the space. Im just trying to tidy up what ive got on here. Cheers cmpm for the CCleaner link. Managed to get rid of about 3GB with the cleaner.