Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extend Wireless Range

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Alright, I have a problem.

I need to extend the range of a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. A Linksys WRE54G (v2) wireless range expander was picked up, but isn't designed to work with Vista, and I'm not familiar enough with Vista to get it set up manually on a secured network. It worked fine with the network unsecured, but obviously you don't want to leave it that way. Both of the computers connecting to the network are Vista laptops, there are no other machines connecting to it.

They are in two seperate buildings, so something like the Netgear WGXB102 (something I glanced at in my googling) won't work. I was wondering if a high gain antenna would be the easiest solution, the other building is about 300~350 feet away from the router.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisements

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
No one? o.o

Buji

Buji

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
ADNoland,

To set your range extender up for secure use on Vista, try this link.

http://forums.linksy...p;thread.id=692

Hopefully that should help you! - Buji

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
It was returned the same day, I guess I should have mentioned that...

Edited by ADNoland, 25 April 2008 - 05:05 PM.