Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

S-L-O-W Start up

• Please log in to reply

pyotrr

pyotrr

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello!

Can you help me please?

My PC is SO slow starting up. It takes what seems to be an absolute age

I have run the malware and spyware programmes recommended on here. I seem free of these.
In fact once started my PC is quite OK. I have used the advice given in Make Firefox Faster. It works!

I have run CCleaner. How do I copy the start up progs. to show you? Do not know what is safe to delete

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
pyotrr welcome to G2G (= :)

I'll help you with this. :)

You can post your startup entry or take a screenshot and we can assist you on what to delete. If you need help posting a screenshot let me know do not forget to include the program path, and name. (;

Here's what I'll help you with:
-Your Startup issue
-Speed and clean the PC up a little bit

What I will NOT be helping you with:
-I recommend having our Malware team take a look at your computer, even though your sure your not infected. Please read twards hte bottom of this post for info on having look at your system.

Please download this free utility it is a portable program so theres no install just open and use.

1.Download the ATF Cleaner (above)
2.Open it, and click "Select All".
3.Click "Empty Selected"

Now to work on your Startup:
You already have CCleaner so just open it up go into Tools>Startup and take a screenshot or list the programs path and info here and we can help you on what to delete. If you need help taking a screenshot let us know.

I recommend having your computer checked for malware,spyware,etc even though you think your clean

Our malware team can assist you with this, please click here and follow the steps you may skip to step 5. Once you have your HiJackThis log (explained in step 5) please click here and post your HiJackThis log in that post and the team will assist you.

I hope this helps and good luck and if theres anything else I can do please reply here :)

It looks like you've tried alot of software to help you with this. I've used a utility Called Tune-up utilities, however it is not free but you can try it out.

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 05:22 PM.

hitman1531

hitman1531

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hmm My PC starts up quick, but takes ages too shutdown but whatever

start : run type in "msconfig" go to startup tabs, and disble any programs you dont need to start up . it will boost the speed a lot.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

start : run type in "msconfig" go to startup tabs, and disble any programs you dont need to start up . it will boost the speed a lot.

That's what I'm suggesting just a different approach suggested in my post. However the MSConfig can be confusing which is why I like to recommend CCleaner I do have another utility but we rather suggest free programs to use rather then paid.

:)

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 05:45 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

That's what I'm suggesting just a different approach suggested in my post. However the MSConfig can be confusing which is why I like to recommend CCleaner I do have another utility but we rather suggest free programs to use rather then paid.

"WE" in the above paragraph does not represent the Staff here at GeeksToGo. The above advice is that of this poster only, and does not reflect on GeeksToGo.

"WE" as in the Staff and Administration of GeeksToGo do not recommend CCLeaner at all. We prefer to recommend ATF CLEANER. This program is not only free, it is SAFE to use, created by one of our very own Experts. With CCLeaner, there are just wayyy too many instances of broken machines after use.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

"WE" in the above paragraph does not represent the Staff here at GeeksToGo. The above advice is that of this poster only, and does not reflect on GeeksToGo.

"WE" as in the Staff and Administration of GeeksToGo do not recommend CCLeaner at all. We prefer to recommend ATF CLEANER. This program is not only free, it is SAFE to use, created by one of our very own Experts. With CCLeaner, there are just wayyy too many instances of broken machines after use.

What I meant was We-GeeksToGo recommends free programs, not CCleaner. But me CamTheMan "I" recommend CCleaner. But GeeksToGo "we" rather use "free" then paid programs. Aww I'm confusing myself... :) :)

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 11:06 PM.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

What I meant was We-GeeksToGo recommends free programs, not CCleaner. But me CamTheMan "I" recommend CCleaner. But GeeksToGo "we" rather use "free" then paid programs. Aww I'm confusing myself... :) :)

Kat was just implying that ATF Cleaner was safe to use, as well as free. You worded your first few posts as if you were apart of the G2G staff, that's why Kat kind of stepped in and added her comment. She doesn't want the OP to blame G2G if something messes up his/her computer due to some ones advice that isn't actually apart of the Geeks to Go staff, that's all :)

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Kat was just implying that ATF Cleaner was safe to use, as well as free. You worded your first few posts as if you were apart of the G2G staff, that's why Kat kind of stepped in and added her comment. She doesn't want the OP to blame G2G if something messes up his/her computer due to some ones advice that isn't actually apart of the Geeks to Go staff, that's all :)

Oh ok I see. I'll be more carefull on wording in the future. Should I add a disclaimer in my sig? Saying something like "GeeksToGo is not responsible for advice I give" something like that? Or not a good idea? Mmight care the person away form me? anyway I'm talking to much... I'm off to bed late here now I'll check back here in the morning. Good Night everyone... :)

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i'm slightly confused about I and WE in this post :S

therefore: Sandman (who is not part of G2G) recommends doing a disk defrag also Sandman thinks that msconfig is a good idea however if you're not sure what you're doing with that then use a suggested application above. How many malware and spyware programs have you run? Because sometimes different ones pick up different things.

pyotrr

pyotrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Here are my start up readings :

smc C:\PROGRA~1\Sygat HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer....
Dragdiag "C\Program Files\Tho HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer..
vscplay "C\Program Files\Virt HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer..
dumprep 0 -k %systemroot%\syste HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer..
STK017 PNP Monitor C:\PROGRA~1\STK01 Common Startup

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by pyotrr, 21 April 2008 - 12:42 PM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Pyotr-

I have found in my own experience that it is often difficult for me to decide what programs are needed, which are part of the windows environment, and which are completely un-necessary. That is why I like free WinPatol so much: http://www.winpatrol.com/

After I installed Winpatrol, all I had to do was right click the scotty dog in my tray and select "Display startup info..." Scotty then 'woofed' and gave me a list of things that were set to start with Windows. No essential processes involved.

All I needed to do was to left-click the entry I wanted to control once to highlight it, and then press the Disable button at the lower right. The 'disabled' entry did not disappear from the list, and still ran just fine from its shortcut and .exe file. If I decided I wanted to put it back into auto-startup, all that was needed was to return to the same list, click it again and press the Enable button. This way I was able to try things one at a time and change my mind if I didn't like the result.

Scotty the WinPatrol dog also looks out for my system's well being by warning me about stuff that shouldn't be happening without my knowing about it. Very helpful little pooch. Scotty will even disable himself from auto-start! I like it so much I paid for the 'Plus' version.

Give Scotty a try. I think you'll like him too.

Edited by 1101doc, 21 April 2008 - 08:23 PM.

pyotrr

pyotrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for your reply. I will give the little dog a try!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Let us know how things are working out, OK?

pyotrr

pyotrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Still not much the wiser which progs. to disable. Any suggestions?

Also 'dog' alerted me to prog. changes. Not sure whether to say yes or no to these!

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Still not much the wiser which progs. to disable. Any suggestions?

Also 'dog' alerted me to prog. changes. Not sure whether to say yes or no to these!

Try out what I mentioned.

If you want to learn how to take screenshots take a look at this, this is just an alternative to typing oout hte start entries... saves some people time and its fun to do (=
http://graphicssoft....nscreenshot.htm

Also a good image host is:
http://tinypic.com/

If need help taking one post back and I can help.

Edited by CamTheMan, 22 April 2008 - 04:53 PM.