Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you cancel a non responding program

• Please log in to reply

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I run vist ultimate 64 and windows xp . I not used to this vista stuff yet how do you cancel a program in vista thats not responding. In xp I hit control alt delete and I can cancel it out in windows task manager How do I do it in vista it does not work. :)

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi Matthew

It really is the same way in Vista.

To terminate a program:

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC that will bring up Windows Task Manager.

Click on Start Task Manager (at the bottom), now it will take you back into Windows Interface and the Task Manager will show, you can go to the Applications tab and click on the program you would like to terminate then click "End Task" from there or if you know the process name go into Processes and right click on the process you want to end, and end that program that way.

You could also press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and from the window that appears click Start Task Manager (last choice.) Then follow the instructions above.

Hope it helps,
Cam

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 04:57 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello matthew staton...

Right click on the taskbar and choose Task Manager.

wannabe1

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
In Vista, pressing the control, alt, and delete keys will give a menu that will allow you to select the task manager.