Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new epic rig is having some problems

• Please log in to reply

endgame

endgame

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having big problems with my computer. First off here are the specs:
tagan 1300 watt power supply
790i ultra mother board
tj10 esa edition case
corsair 1600 mhz 4 gbs of ram 2 2gb sticks ddr3
2x western digital raptors 74 gbs 10 k rpm in raid 0 stripe
1x seagate hard drive 500gb 7200 rpm
xfx 9600 rpm
pioneer blue ray drive
lite on drive
qx 9770 3.2 ghz cpu

The bios is extremely slow. I have no idea why...it's just runs at a snails pace and when I press a key it has like a 3-4 second delay. Next, now I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but when I set my hdd in raid 0 stripe they seemed to disappear from the list of drives that show up when the comp boots up and when a jmicron.com website comes up and says detecting drives it says none. Also when I try to install windows xp (which also runs way slower than normal) It always ends up saying that it could not finish because it didn't detect any hard drives which is wierd. And yes I set the raid 0 stripe to the booting hard drives. Since then I have been welcomed with even more problems for instance at random points in the start up process it will just stop. The temperatures are fine. All the hardware is put in fine. All these aren't even all the problems sigh. I don't know what to do and I could really use some help.

I'd say out of all these my largest problem is the harddrives not being recognized. I don't know how to reset my bios or how to update so if you all could tell me how to do those 2 thing s in lamans terms it would be very helpful.

Advertisements

endgame

endgame

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No suggestions at all? :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go!

I've had that same problem with the BIOS on my last computer, after I flashed my graphics card to unlock it. I never did work out why it happened, it just annoyed me. But it worked fine just the same. Once it booted into Windows, there was no problem, however. Even updating the BIOS did not change it... So my guess is you'll just have to put up with it.

When you're installing XP on a RAID setup, you'll need to press F6 at the appropriate point and then it will want you to insert a floppy drive with the RAID controller drivers on it, so it can load the RAID drivers and then "see" the hard drive setup.

A floppy disk may not have come with all your gear, so you'll need to use somebody else's computer to copy the drivers from the CD to a floppy. The instructions should be included in the motherboard manual (if you are running the RAID setup using the onboard RAID controller). You may be able to simply point the setup to the drivers on the CD directly, although I've never tried it. I'm pretty sure you do need a floppy drive for this.

Cheers

Troy