Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need a Designer; Special Requirements?

• Please log in to reply

efilm66

efilm66

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I would like to hire a graphic designer or website designer (I don't know the difference... still) to design a website *maybe around 15-20 pages total* that will later be implemented by a developer down the road. I've posted here before... some of you may remember i'm trying to develop a site similar in function to ratemyprofessor.. though of course, it's not professors being rated... they are employers.

In any case, I wanted to add an AJAX function (i believe its AJAX -- on the frontpage where users would begin typing in the employers name and my database would automatically bring up the full name, such as when you type something in Google Search)

My question is.. if i have the pages simply designed... prior to me giving them over to a developer to execute into an entire website... am i just going to have the designer work in photoshop??? (or best format???) and send me pages without any HTML, coding etc?? Or because my pages may be a little more complicated do I have to have a developer design the pages instead... What's standard practice?

I already tried working with developers directly who claimed they could design the pages first and then move toward the developing stage.. but having seen their prior work i just can't trust that the outrageous money they ask for will be worth it in the end.. so i thought i'd save some money and do it right by starting with a web designer... but don't quite know what to ask for what to expect from a designer--SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS? (if i were to give him/her all my plans)

Thanks so much! Love this site!

Cale

Edited by efilm66, 20 April 2008 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
efilm66,

Welcome (=

I have my site you can check out in my profile my design his name is Ross he does the design and development although he is the same age as me and is good at what he does. Every designer has their bad side he doesn't seem to be online that much, but when he is he works well. For example I'm redesigning my site I've been trying to redesign it with him for the last 2 months, although we are almost done. The other bad thing about him, is hes not very good with Java and still has some learning. What is good out of him? The pricing is well if you go to my site you can see what he has done although he is not very creative, if you know what I mean like I'm the wedding coordinator, I have to tell what goes where, what colors,shapes.

He used to be in a partnership at www.hr-development.net it was "Hady & Ross" now they got into a fight and Ross went and made www.dreamcube.com when they were partners Hady did the coding, Ross did the Design.

But it's up to you I hope this helped.

Also I was fairly young when I had my site made, I've been through alot of web designers so if you need advise on what to expect or anything like that or your wondering if one is good or not post here. I've wasted alot of time and money but I gained experience and mistakes I won't make in the future.

I hope this helps :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I think you would be better off checking out http://www.getafreelancer.com/. Open an account there and post your requirements. I won't be bidding on your job as I do just web page design with no frills like setting up asp/php or any other scripting language or even MySQL databases. Just don't have the time for in depth full web site design.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 20 April 2008 - 06:57 PM.

efilm66

efilm66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey Thanks Ron and CamtheMan..

I didn't intend to hire anyone thru geekstogo, though i wouldn't be against it..

I'm just really confused who does what..

If I only want to design my website for now, how do i do that? If i hire a Web Designer what should I expect to receive from him if all I want are the design plans and nothing else.. (if i'm only later going to hand the plans to a developer)

I may seem like i know what i'm talking about but I have no clue what I'm doing!!!!

Thanks!

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Just go ahead and talk with a web designer. But don't tell him you only want the design see how much it will cost for both. Then tell him you only want the design, then that will help you encase the web designer tries to take advantage of you hopefully that won't happen.

If you want a website this is the order of what you need to do.

1.Buy the domain. GeektoGo.com is Geekstogo's domain; I buy mine from www.dynadot.com
2.Get hosting I use www.hostgater.com $14.99/month for me on shared hosting.
3.Hire the designer and let him start the design.

Some web designers offer to host your site on their server which can sometimes be pricey. But saves time.

Hope this helps

Edited by Kat, 20 April 2008 - 10:20 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I didn't intend to hire anyone thru geekstogo, though i wouldn't be against it..

3.Hire the designer and let me start the design.

It's against the GeekstoGo TOS to solicit or discuss payment for anything. That's why I suggested getafreelancer.com.

Some web designers do it all and sometimes that's the best way to go if you want your site up and running quickly. The designer should give you a contract that spells out work to be done, expected completion date, number of rewrites for each page that will be done free, etc.. Your 20 pages for the site to be done can be expensive when setting up an eCommerce site, PayPal, databases, and all the rest that makes such a site function.

A web page designer could just do the very basic web design such as graphics, logos, and any page layouts using CSS that you need. Setting up site's directory structure, links, etc.. A web developer can then extend on into the actual coding of the site for whatever purpose you want it to function as. Developer may need to work with the original page designer as to certain layouts, but I'm sure they are well versed in coding themselves. It gets to be a grey area between what the site designer does versus what the site developer does. Designer/developer seem to merge in a lot of aspects.

If you check out the getafreelancers site, you will have an idea of what the bidding costs are.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 20 April 2008 - 09:45 PM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I just noticed that I read wrong for me it made it sound like I was the designer... I'm not.... just to clear that up in the quote :)

I was just saying how it was when I hired my designer, that's all.

Edited by CamTheMan, 20 April 2008 - 09:50 PM.

efilm66

efilm66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i didn't post to hire anybody. Major suggested he did design. Thanks CamMan

Edited by efilm66, 21 April 2008 - 08:27 AM.