Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard and video card

• Please log in to reply

Alex Hil

Alex Hil

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am building a system for photoshop work, and could do with some advice on some hardware.

Firstly, I have narrowed my motherboard choice to either Asus or Gigabyte, with the inclination to go for the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3. Does anyone have any recommendations for better boards at approx the same prce (approx $100US I think). I want at least 1066 FSB and am looking at running 2GB RAM at 1200Mhz with the mobo I mentioned, but running it at 1066 will do.

Also, I want to run a dual monitor setup. Should I go for a video card with two heads (suggest a good, cheap one for me) or run one monitor off the onboard graphics and purchase a single head card for my primary monitor? My supplier doesnt stock matrox, so if you suggest a dual head card, it cant be one.

Thanks for any help...

Alex

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
For the motherboard, I suggest the Gigabyte P35-DS3L for $89.99, FSB - 1333/1066MHz and Memory Standard of DDR2 1066.
If you really want to run 2GB of RAM at 1200MHz then you can get the Gigabyte EP35-DS3R for $129.99.
I believe that if you want to setup dual monitor (using one computer), you can purchase any video card with 2 ports at the back (like 2 DVI or DVI and VGA or 2 VGA ports) and you only have to change the settings when you get to the desktop like if you get an NVidia card, you can go to the NVidia control panel and set it up there. Don't quote me on this though as I'm not an expert on this.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 21 April 2008 - 10:45 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I want at least 1066 FSB and am looking at running 2GB RAM at 1200Mhz with the mobo I mentioned, but running it at 1066 will do.

Any reason why you want RAM this fast? Unless you are overclocking, there is no need.
As for a video card virtually anything with two heads will do. Does both of your monitors use DVI, both use VGA or does one use VGA and the other use DVI?
James

Alex Hil

Alex Hil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just saw that the mobo I was looking at supported ram this fast and thought the faster the better for photoshop work. I guess there is nothing wrong with 1066.

The monitors will be purchased at the same time, so I will make sure they are both DVI. That brings me to my second question, can anyone suggest a decent 19" monitor for image editing (true 16.7m colours, ie not a TN panel)

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Alex

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I just saw that the mobo I was looking at supported ram this fast and thought the faster the better for photoshop work. I guess there is nothing wrong with 1066.

Unless you are overclocking, when buying RAM, spend money on capacity, not speed (within reason).

The monitors will be purchased at the same time, so I will make sure they are both DVI. That brings me to my second question, can anyone suggest a decent 19" monitor for image editing (true 16.7m colours, ie not a TN panel)

Why not use CRT monitors? Non TN panels are hard to come by now a days and you'll have to give up and arm and a leg to get them. I'll see if I can come by anything, but I have my doubts. Lastly, there are some newer TN panels that "are" 8bit panels, you want to avoid these and you can usually tell from the worse viewing angles when comparing it to a non-TN panel.
I know Lenovo was coming out with a 24" non-TN display, but I haven't heard about it for a while.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2008 - 05:56 PM.

Alex Hil

Alex Hil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Why not use CRT monitors?

Mainly space issues with my workstation and the fact that most manufacturers stopped making them mid 2005. I will look around to see what I can find I guess.

Thanks again,

Alex

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
How much are you willing to spend on the monitor?

This is something really hard to guarantee, so I'm not going to guarantee anything, but the monitors below appear to be MVA or PVA panels.
http://www.ncixus.co...x.php?sku=19235 (I'm making an exception, this is my only guarantee)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236007
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824176053
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 April 2008 - 06:21 PM.