Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to overclocking

• Please log in to reply

Zhewiz

Zhewiz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
So i just got done reading the unoffical guide to overclocking, pretty interesting. It states that the BIOS is the most common way to overclock a PC. My question is this. What do you do when your BIOS doesn't support overclocking. If you're going to tell me get a new one, my next question would be how to find out what BIOS works on your computer. Any answers would be greatly appreciated or even just point me in the direction of some more valuable reading material. Thanks.

Zhewiz

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Most brand computers have bios that don't support OC thats because they don't want you to, it could cause problems that they don't want to fix.
You can't change your bios, well you can but even if you can on a brand computer the bios you upgraded to (called flashing the bios) would be provided by the manufactuer and would not have a OC function anyway.

In short you pretty much have to build your own computer to OC or at the very least change motherboards,add cooling ect.

Rick

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

This really depends on your mobo.. Some have the settings in BIOS, others simply have jumpers on the mobo itself that will allow you to change FSB and clock speeds..

Your mobo manual should show you all the jumpers on the mobo and what they are for..

Murray

Zhewiz

Zhewiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hmm.....i see. well it looks like i'm stuck for the time being. thanks a lot guys.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem.. Good luck with your O/C research..

Murray