Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can You Recommend A Good Media Center HDD Enclosure?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I recently found out there is new hard drive enclosure technology in the form of "media center" HDD enclosures that you can hook up to television in order to watch/listen to whatever you put on the hard drive. I think that would be a great idea for me because I have a lot of videos on my pc that I would like to watch as fast as possible instead of burning countless dvds that take hours to convert from different pc video formats to dvd disc format.

Not only that but I also have an enormous musical mp3/wav library and would like to have access all of that on the television in my living room. I don't know much about these "media center" enclosures, but I hear that all you have to do is buy one of them, stick in a hard drive of your preferred size, connect the enclosure to your pc via usb to pass over anything you'd like [video/audio], than simply connect the enclosure to your tv and go through the menu to watch/listen to whatever you want. I've read that you can also record shows from live cable tv like tivo systems straight to the internal hard disc drive.

I'd like to know what the best brand of "media center" hdd enclosures are, what to stay away from, and possibly a few you may recommend.

I want it to be fully capable of doing the following:

- passing video and audio from my pc to the media center via usb
- record live shows on my tv to the media center
- be able to hook up the media center to my standard rca input tv/vcr
- be able to connect the media center to a new hd tv or any newer tv [so I can use that feature when I can afford to buy one in the future lol]
- fitting in at least a 500GB or 1TB hdd

Note:
Most of the videos on my pc that I'd like to pass are in mpeg/avi/divx format that have mp3 or ac3 sound. & my music is in mp3 and wav format

Here are some "media center" HDD enclosures I've found on the net:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by superstar, 21 April 2008 - 02:31 AM.

Advertisements