Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Freezes When Playing Videos

• Please log in to reply

dyne

dyne

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay so here is my problem I play games on my computer and its fine no freezing or anything of the sort. However when I try to play a video on vista it just freezes everything and I have to restart. I have tried several players some last a few mins longer than others but all will freeze eventually I can't watch anything longer than a minute or to. I am totally annoyed with this.

I have tried to turn down the acceleration on the video card which is a ATI MOBILITY RADEON X2500 and it saids your current display drivers does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration setting

So then I thought ok let me try to change it from reliability and performance and got no luck there. I then went too device manager and tried updating my drivers thinking it could be a drivers issue and got no luck there.

Now I am wondering is this a drivers issues or a vista issue? Will simply installing windows xp fix this problem?

thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

many Vista users have fixed that problem by Installing the 'FFDShow' codec pack: http://www.free-code...ow_download.htm

dyne

dyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Worked thanks

dyne

dyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Great now it doesn't work with the codecs...it was ok for awhile then it went back to restarting when you open a video.

Edited by dyne, 30 April 2008 - 07:03 AM.

dyne

dyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
anyone have an idea how to fix this?

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Yes in short use Zoom Player. Download and install the recommended codecs with it. The best Video player out there. :)

dyne

dyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
didn't work

dyne

dyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
can any one help?

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
dyne have you tried DH Mobility Modder
http://www.driverhea...net/modtool.php

Follow the step by step instruction guide for Vista. Hopefully it might help.

1: Download MSXML 6.0 from Microsoft. (Default in Vista) - Install.

Step 2 is VISTA ONLY

2: Make sure UAC control in Vista is turned off. If you don't know how to do this then read this guide (method 4 is the easiest) or click the "disable UAC" in Mobility Modder.net - please note you MUST reboot after disabling UAC. If you don't want it disabled permanently, you can turn it back on after our mobility tool has finished, but it won't mod the drivers correctly with UAC ON.

3: Download the newest desktop drivers from www.ati.com (or get them from Driver Heaven Downloads). If you are using Windows XP make sure to download .net framework from Microsoft (this is built into Windows Vista so there is no need to install it).

4: Run the downloaded driver, let it extract into c:/ATI/SUPPORT - but cancel the installation once the driver is extracted.

5: Run Mobility Modder - browse to the driver in C:ATI/SUPPORT/ - an example of Catalyst 7.4 would be C:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-4_vista32_dd_ccc_enu_44985 - hit modify. Wait until driver is modified.

6: In Vista, go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-4_vista32_dd_ccc_enu_44985 (Or whatever the driver installation folder was called), and run the SETUP.EXE. Please note you might see a "Driver is not WHQL certified", ignore this, as it is a side effect of the modification.

7: Wait until Install is finished and reboot. Enjoy the new drivers!

Edited by rodneymckay, 15 May 2008 - 10:50 AM.

dyne

dyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
didn't work again.