Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where and which files to get from update server for updates

• Please log in to reply

Huzz

Huzz

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi

let me clear up.

i dont want to download windows update from my home pc as dont have a good connection.so if there a way i can use work place updates as they also have update server . so i can just grab those files n use it on my personal pc.

thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows Update works by checking to see which updates are appropriate for the PC which is connected to the update website. The updates appropriate for the PC at work may not be appropriate or compatible for your home PC. The version of Windows might be different, may have a different service pack installed, different Microsoft applications installed.

The only alternative if you have to use a different PC to get updates for another PC is to decide for yourself what to download and what you need by bypassing Microsoft Update and using the Download Centre instead: http://www.microsoft...?displaylang=en
This method is obviously much more difficult and demands more knowledge on your part since you must decide for yourself what is required and what is not. Trawling through many pages of security & patch updates without knowing if you have them already is no fun. Updating the proper way avoids all that.

Edited by pip22, 21 April 2008 - 01:33 PM.