Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update problem

• Please log in to reply

wdh

wdh

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok trying to install windows live messanger on my computer after it broke a few weeks ago. It wouldnt install and gave no reason why. Then when i closed it it opened up a hlep window which said that my windows update possibbly isnt working. Clicked on tools ^^ then windows update and it said the paged had loaded but it hadnt there was just a white page.
So i went into program files and ran internet explorer off a different user clicked windows update and it said this:

Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

^^ there were 2 options so i click the first and it says its downloading and registering and then says its finished, but it loops around and shows the same message which i got to start with :) any ideas how to fix this? any help appreciated.

Advertisements

wdh

wdh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
any ideas ? :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To repair windows updates: Download Dial-a-Fix from the link in my list of programs below, unzip the folder and click dial-a-fix.exe. Check Fix Window Updates and click Go.

wdh

wdh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I tried the above link and when it was running i got this error

Error in registering C:\WINDOWS\System32\msxm12.dll (version)
and an error code
0x80070005

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have XP installation CD? If yes, insert it into the drive, click Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow (note the space in the command) and press Enter. Let the repair process of system files continue until the dialog box just disappears.