Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fssm32.exe taking up CPU and possibly causing my Shaw Secure to malfun

• Please log in to reply

DrDeisel

DrDeisel

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi! I've just gone through a review process over at the main Hijack This forum and Landlord declares my computer to be totally free of malware. The link to the thread is posted below and will provide you with any and all of the log records from the scans performed as part of the process:

http://www.geekstogo...79#entry1219579

It's nice to know my computer is clean, but unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away. I turn on the computer, Shaw Secure (powered by F-Secure) starts automagically, but a red X appears over the icon with a message that the Virus/Spyware portion is not functioning properly. The X disappears after a few minutes and things seem to be normal. However, the computer is very slow and seems to be running something all the time. When I go into Task Manager and check the processes tab, a file called fssm32.exe is taking up massive amounts of my CPU usage. It stops after a time, but starts up again at what seems to be random intervals as long as the computer is on, slowing the browser to the point of being painful.

As I said in my last post to Tal, I'm going to unintall and reinstall Shaw Secure to see if that helps with the problem, but if anyone out there knows anything about shy this is happening and what to do to get rid of it, I'd sure like to hear about it. And I know there are several others that would like to know as well - I've seen similar topics posted.

Thanks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
As you said this is a known problem with F-secure. Why not just remove it and protect your computer with other, free, programs? For example, I use Avast as an antivirus and Spyware Terminator for real-time antispyware protection. Add to this a periodic update and scan with other, excellent, programs like Spybot 1.5.2, Avg Antispyare, Malwarebytes etc.

DrDeisel

DrDeisel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That's all well and good, but others seem to have found a fix without switching. Just wondering :) if there's any way I can do so as well? It seems to be keeping my computer clean, from what Landlord had to say, so I'd like to keep using it if I can.