Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyone use MagicJack?

• Please log in to reply

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
It's quit something, its a VOIP type thing.

I was thinking about getting it for the house....

Anyone have comments?

Here's the site for more info on it:
http://www.magicjack.com/5/index.asp

Cam :)

Edited by CamTheMan, 21 April 2008 - 06:24 PM.

Advertisements

ajpalomino7780

ajpalomino7780

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes i have it and i'd have to say it sucks with cordless phones! always breaking up when it rains or if you are too far away from it. im talking 5 feet too far lol. it is clear if you have a wall mount phone though.

Edited by ajpalomino7780, 22 March 2009 - 01:49 AM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I have been using it for quite some time, and for $19.95 US dollars a year you just can’t beat it. I first thought it was a scam, but a friend of mine tried it and recommended to me.

If you don’t use your landline often it’s a good fit, if you use it everyday or run a business on it, I wouldn’t recommend it.

I run mine with cable internet, and have no idea if dial up makes a difference.

Pro’s

• $19.95 a year vs $56.00 a month I was paying. ($600 + a year savings)
  • Voice mail (can be checked in email)
  • Caller id
  • 911 service
  • Once set up, you can run it on any PC
  • Low on PC resources.

Con’s

• Pop up onscreen phone with every call received (annoying if lots of calls coming in)
  • Doesn’t work if computer is not on, and connected to the internet. (Goes straight to voice mail).
  • Must dial area code for all calls local or not.
  • Some calls have a good bit of echo in them when you talk, but can be reduced if you turn down headset volume (if available).
  • If two or more people are logged in to the computer it will not work, you have to log out the other users.
  • No live support, it says live chat support but it’s automated.
  • Not compatible with answering machines (but you have voice mail)
  • Advertisements in on screen phone, and email.

All in all it’s a good fit for what I need, as I hardly ever use my home phone. Most of my communication is done via cell phone. So I will deal with the little problems to save $600+ a year.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
A friend of mine uses it and he loves it. He actually uses it for his business(computers). He had nothing but great things to say about it, except that the computer must always remain on in order to recieve the calls.

I'm probably going to get it myself, I mean for a first time fee of $40.00 and only a yearly fee of 19.95 why not? I'm really poor and am willing to try that out.

I believe you get discounts if you pay for multiple years in advance too.

That's my two cents!

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I believe you get discounts if you pay for multiple years in advance too.

that true, and I think they offer up to five years for a set price, however I am going year by year just in case their not around in five years :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Good Idea Bhowett,

I also wanted to add, for those who build computers or have spare ones laying around, the way my buddy did it was just set up a computer with XP on it that doesn't have a monitor or keyboard, or anything. It sits up on a top shelf of his computer work room just idleing the entire time. So his main computers he can turn off and on whenever he wants.

I don't know if that is enough details, but he has it set up something like that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
JUST WANT TO ADD MY 2 CENTS WORTH...
An online number (SkypeIn™) is perfect if you have friends, family or business colleagues who don't use Skype. Anyone can dial your online number from any phone or mobile and hey presto, your Skype rings and you pick up the call – wherever you are in the world....

I have been using SKYPE for about 8 months now and I love it...I bought a Skype number and a years worth of long distance for the US and CANADA..yearly cost is $60 bucks...thats only 5 bucks a month...they say you have a ten thousand minute a month limit though.. :)
anyone can call me using land lines ...cell phones or their computer...and I can call any land lines ...cell phones or their computer..
when I am not online it will forward all the calls to my cell or just take a message...it just depends on how you set your preferences...and one click switches it to forward the call or not...I do not have to give my cell number out at all
I have it on both my laptop for traveling and my tower (same number)...they both work but you can only be logged in on one at a time..
its also got web cam video call capability but when my son and I tried it ...he was in London UK and I was in San Diego it kind of broke up the sound a little...
I highly recommend it...

Edited by happyrock, 13 April 2009 - 10:02 AM.