Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite

• Please log in to reply

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite with XP. When you turn the computer on it does normal but goes to the " Start in safe mode or last known configuration or normally". It doesn't matter which one you select it will go to the Windows XP screen with the blue light going across. Then it won't start and goes back to the Start in safe mode, last configuration, normal, etc, it does this everytime. It's my daughter's computer so I don't know what she did if she did anything.

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi Area 51,

I'm Cameron. I want to help answer some questions that may help everyone and save you some time.

Question 1 Can you boot into safe mode at all?
When you see the menu boot in Safe Mode/ Safe Mode with Networking/ Safe Mode With Command Prompt.

Try selecting Safe mode, once you do you'll see a scary loading files scrolling from the top to the bottom don't be scared. Just it load.Once it's done just log into Windows like you normally would. I know it's a good sign if we can get into Safe Mode at least.

Question 2:
What does your daughter remember doing before this happened? Windows Update, installing program,downloading anything?

Nice to meet you :)

Cameron

Edited by CamTheMan, 21 April 2008 - 07:30 PM.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It won't do it in any of the modes, when you try one of the safe modes it does show all of the files loading but then goes back to the asking for which one you want to start in again. I really don't know what she did, she never said.

Edited by Area 51, 21 April 2008 - 07:25 PM.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Does anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
No one has any ideas?

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Well I have an an idea to help you since you can't boot into or safe mode.

My advice has nothing to with GeeksToGo staff this is only my opinion and thoughts giving under your circumstances.

Area 51,
Only thing I can think to try is, and is a last resort and you will lose all your saved data,programs,files when doing this that is a reformat. This basically deleting Windows XP from the system, and then reinstalling it. Therefore when you finish reinstalling your operating system (Windows XP) it will be like brand new.

Things you should know before taking action on this:
-Know that this will delete your data (files,programs installed,etc..)
-Know that this is a last resort, and most of time people reformat when they have no other options.

Note that I am only a member of GeeksToGo I do not consider myself Professional in this field, but I have reformatted computers and I have experience. I hope this helps and please understand I (CamTheMan) is not a Staff and my options do not reflect on them, I am responsible for my advice only.

I really hope this helps you, and hopefully someone else will post another solution but after thinking about your situation I could not come up with any other things to try.

Good luck, and just know I am here for you. :)

Side note:
I took at look in Terms Of Use I couldn't ind anywhere in there that is warned members about giving advice on reformat.

Edited by CamTheMan, 22 April 2008 - 05:13 PM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Something else you could try, is doing a repair of the Operating System:
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Or you could go with the reformat difference is in a reformat you will lose your data in a repair you will not lose you applications,files,etc it only reinstalls the Windows Files.

Side note:
I am not sure what file or "thing" would cause this so I can't say "do a reformat" or "do a repair" if it was me this is the way I would choose (If I wanted to go this route) I would first decide if I wanted to keep the files,programs,pictures,etc... if I didn't want to lose that data I would try the repair. If I didn't mind losing that data I would go ahead and do a reformat. Ultimately if the repair does not fix, then I would for the reformat.

Others will be able to give more information. I just couldn't stand not posting anything to help you....

I hope this helps you if any some.

-Cameron

Edited by CamTheMan, 22 April 2008 - 05:22 PM.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
You could check to see if your hard drive didn't get loosen . Do you have your product recovery disk ?

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yes I have the disk, but I want to try other options first before I do the recovery. I want to try and save the files if I can.

Edited by Area 51, 23 April 2008 - 07:49 AM.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Did you check your hard drive ? There should be either one or 2 screw to remove the cover , Afterward you should be able to see if it is attach ok . Just make sure you do so without power , take the battery out and unplug it before you remove the cover .. It really isn't hard to look , give that a try .

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Area 51...

Let's see if we can run a system restore from Recovery Console. Recovery Console is on most installation cd's, but there are a few branded machines whose disks lack the option. If you have a cd that does not include Recovery Console, download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning tool like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD (or RC.iso)...after the first several screens load and you are on the "Welcome to Setup" screen, you will be given a chance to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

Let us know how you do with this. If you run into problems or have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

wannabe1

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hey that fixed it, thanks wannabe1. I have another problem though. There in no wireless on it, I guess she deleted it a long time ago and I didn't know about it. I haven't seen her in 6 months, I am going to have to have a talk with her :) She has been using a ethernet cable to get on the internet. I think it had Atheros if I remember right, is there any way of getting it back on there? I went to system restore and checked but it was done way before the last way point.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like you're missing some drivers. What's the model number for that Toshiba? I'll see if I can round up some drivers.

Let's check Device Manager and see what it shows. Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Under the "Hardware" tab, click the "Device Manager" button. Do you see any yellow ! or ? icons displayed? How about red x icons...any of those? If you see any icons like these, list the device shown next to it for me.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It's a A105-S2101. I checked earlier and there is a yellow ? and ! on Other devices>Ethernet Controller.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Atheros LAN Drivers

Download and install these drivers and reboot. See if that doesn't get the wireless back.