Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Will any wireless router work with laptops?

• Please log in to reply

rocco1005

rocco1005

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Im about to buy a laptop and i need to get a wireless router. Are all wireless routers pretty much the same and will they all hook up the same way so i wont have to worry about buying one that wont work on my laptop? im probably going to get this Linksys MIMO router with those dual antennas.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

All wireless routers and wireless laptops use a common wifi standard called '802.11' (with several officially ratified updates over the years from 'b' through to 'g', and any new wireless device today supports all three). So as long as the router you buy supports '802.11b, c, or g, you'll have no problem.

One tip, if the router provides both USB and Ethernet connection ports to your main PC, use the ethernet one and connect this to the network card of your main PC. That way you won't have to mess about installing a USB driver for the router. Apart from which, USB was never intended for networking whereas ethernet was. If main PC doesn't have a network card they are cheap and easy to fit into a spare PCI slot. And with 99% of them XP doesn't need an external driver to recognise it. Truly 'plug & play' for a change!

Edited by pip22, 22 April 2008 - 02:51 AM.

rocco1005

rocco1005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok thanks, one final question:

I have 2 other computers hooked up to the cable modem, will adding the laptop to that setup slow down the internet for it? The other two computers wont be used at the same time as the laptop but i didnt know if just having the 2 PCs' turned on would slow down the internet for the laptop when im on it.

Edited by rocco1005, 22 April 2008 - 11:34 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the internet is being actively used on all three computers then the router will split the traffic between the three computers. So if your average download speed was 100kb/s on one computer alone and all three were downloading together, eventually they'd all end up downloading at 33.3kb/s, all other things being equal. If a computer isn't using internet traffic the bandwidth gets assigned to those that are using it.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
And of course, you don't need all three machines to be running in order to use internet on just one of them. All three are independant of each other where internet access is concerned.