Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you clean the Windows\Install folder?

• Please log in to reply

ChrisZTT

ChrisZTT

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have over 1000 files in the windows installer folder taking up over 20 GB of space. I was running the Panda scanner for 3 days until I got tired of it and stopped it. I was scanning that folder for over a day and a half and had a file count of 4 million files when I stopped it. Most in the installer folder. Is there a way I can get rid of those files. At the same time I am wondering if that is the reason I can never install updates for outlook express or office. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Where is windows installer folder located? what is it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
C:\Windows\Installer - just after the 'inf' folder if alphabetically listed...both my systems show less than 300 MB in those folders...
did you ever have a bunch of failed MS office updates by chance...
you might want to read this and this..before removing anything..

Edited by happyrck, 22 April 2008 - 07:07 AM.

ChrisZTT

ChrisZTT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Lots of failed updates for office and outlook express. I can never update those two programs. They always download and try to install and end up failing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you check out those links I gave you...
look in the folder and get the extensions for the most common ones in there...which ones are using the most space...
maybe someone else knows for sure how to handle this... you should wait and see if you get any other replies to this problem..
if you get no other help...
then I would backup all my data first...then uninstall office and outlook..then go to the installer folder and delete anything in there related to those 2 programs...then reinstall the programs...

Edited by happyrck, 22 April 2008 - 10:15 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I don't have that folder and I have MS Office 2003 professional and outlook express.
The updates have always worked.

happyrck, did you tell ms to delete the install folder after office installed?
That is probably the folder.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
not the installer folder...just anything IN the folder related to office or outlook...
there may be others that need to go but I need to know what the extensions are first

to cmpm

I don't have that folder

you do... its a hidden folder

Edited by happyrck, 22 April 2008 - 10:49 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
yeah, i wonder if they are blue?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first go to your control panel...folder options...view tab...check ...show hidden files and folders...
also uncheck...hide extensions for known file types
and uncheck hide protected operating system files

then get a screenshot like mine of your C:/windows folder

Edited by happyrck, 22 April 2008 - 11:22 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry, my mistake. I tried to look for the folder with system files view disabled.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Ha! I made the same mistake! I do have that folder.
It's 113mb I think.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I had to uncheck 'hide protected operating system files (Recommended)'

ChrisZTT

ChrisZTT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

did you check out those links I gave you...
look in the folder and get the extensions for the most common ones in there...which ones are using the most space...
maybe someone else knows for sure how to handle this... you should wait and see if you get any other replies to this problem..
if you get no other help...
then I would backup all my data first...then uninstall office and outlook..then go to the installer folder and delete anything in there related to those 2 programs...then reinstall the programs...

There are no extensions on them. I checked the actual number and it is 44 folders and 1403 files. All the files are patches, mostly for office 2003. They all have names like 1a0a4dc or 1c56d81f. Stuff like that. They go all the way back to 7-8-04.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Download and install CCleaner. Do not install the Yahoo toolbar that comes packed with the program. In addition to items checked by default please check "Old Prefetch Data". Run the "cleaner" and "registry" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "registry") when prompted to do so.

2: Look at this link and carefully read the content. Download Windows Installer Cleaner and run it. Please note that you will probably have to reinstall some applications.