Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting out the multiple choices of XP

• Please log in to reply

simonshaft

simonshaft

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem starts when I began to install 2 Windows XP OS on my two hard disk, a 20GB IDE old hard disk and another 160GB (divided into two partitions equally) when the choices of MS XP shows up.

At the very beginning, this is not a problem to me, as I need to use both, but since I didnt use the old one now, I would like to know how do I delete the unused choice in the list.

FYI: I had tried using the Repair Console--> bootcfg options and I had tried one options after another and it heppens that I had ended up screwing it by adding one more MS XP boot... :/

If you dont really think you can understand what am I saying, hope the part of the script helps. This is what it says during the selection of choices of OS

Please select the operating system to start:"Mircosoft Windows XP Professional" <-- the one im using"" <-- accidently added this during the bootcfg"Microsoft Windows XP Professional" <-- the old Hard Disk, didnt use this one.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello simonshaft...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Under the Advanced tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini)...copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

wannabe1

simonshaft

simonshaft

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, here it goes:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS=""
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Remove the lines shown in red below, then click "File" on the notepad toolbar and choose "Save". Close all open windows and reboot...it should boot straight to your new installation of Windows.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS=""
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

simonshaft

simonshaft

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks! By deleting it, the boot options are gone :) Thanks for the advice

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:)