Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer really slow.

• Please log in to reply

lostsole

lostsole

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi guys, my computer is really slow these days, opening programs such as microsoft word and firefox takes ages.
i've scanned my computer with avg/spybot search and destroy/disk defragmenter/disk clean up and still i have the slow problem.

any help?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Potential hard drive issue.
Take the side off the case, see what brand your hard drive is, then go to their website and grab a diagnostic tool for it. It'll tell you if the drive's on the way out.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It's also possible your hard drive is running in PIO mode instead of DMA mode.

Open Device Manager by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. Click on the Hardware tab then click on the Device Manager button.

In Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on the Primary IDE channel, click Properties, then the Advanced Settings tab.

Current Transfer Mode will be listed there for any device connected to the channel.

Repeat for Secondary IDE channel.

If any are running in PIO mode, select DMA if available from the Transfer Mode drop down selection box. Click OK then close out the remaining windows.

Reboot and see if that makes any difference.

Above from a post by wannabe1 here: http://www.geekstogo...44#entry1149944

lostsole

lostsole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am good in terms of that.
do you guys recommend any sorts of scans and stuff? here is a screecap of my task manager if its useful:
http://img166.images...reencapsrh6.png

lostsole

lostsole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
bump (sorry but my pc is dying :) )

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Not much that we can do with your last diagnosis. Please be specific and comment on previous advice given to you by other members.

lostsole

lostsole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, i took ztrukers adice and i was okay, all of those were in DMA if available.
and as the hardrive issue, i rather not get into the hardware and opening my computer yet. i want to make sure of the software.

my computer is really slow, everyapplication i click on is opening very slow, startup is very slow. i cant even open a word document easily :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To speed-up your computer please do the following: (For most downloads use links in my signature).

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Go to the "startup" tab and uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting a message will show up. Please check it and continue. For laptop users: do not uncheck items that clearly relate to the operation of the computer.

2: In your internet browser uninstall all unnecessary toolbars such as Yahoo, google and others.

3: If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed as a windows update, uninstall it in add/remove programs in control panel. This will roll you back to internet explorer 6.

4: Download and install CCleaner. Do not install the Yahoo toolbar that comes packed with the program. In addition to items checked by default please check "Old Prefetch Data". Run the "cleaner" and "registry" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "registry") when prompted to do so.

5: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use the link in my signature to the malware forum and follow all the preliminary steps. Run full system scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

6: Run disk defragmantation. For this operation I use and recommend Auslogic Disk Defrag. Alternatively you can run Microsoft's defragmenter.

7: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags registry and page files which are not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

8: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

9: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: -> Properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk (each partition, if you have more then one).

10: Go to Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, Double click IDE Primary Channel, click Advanced Settings and write down what you see in Current Transfer Mode. Repeat the procedure for Secondary IDE Channel.