Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to reformat properly.

• Please log in to reply

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey guys I run on windows XP, I got this computer in 2000-2001, got a newer one afterwards didn't bother with this one until now. Recently tryed to reinstall windows on it went well until I got to one of the blue screens, "Click Enter to continue" etc As I did it tells me I do not have a Hard Drive installed on this computer. So I ran out of ideas and came here any help is appreciated thanks.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Epsilon Welcome to G2G
Because the computer is old it may not auto detect the hard drive.
Start the computer and look on the screen for which key to press for setup - Del or f1 etc.
Enter setup is the hard drive listed ? You could have a flat cmos battery. one way to tell is when you enter the bios have a look at the date and time if it is not current then we have to replace the battery.
Also when you are in the bios at the top it should say if it is Award or phoneix. let me know which one.
Cheers
peterm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have sata drives installed? It may be that you need to install sata/raid drivers before Windows will detect the drive.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It is Award Software International, Inc. F6, 1/4/2007. I got ahold of someone on the phone who works at a computer place he said it may have died on me the hard drive its self but im not sure if hes just saying that cause he wants money ^^, and I remember in the setup the driver wasn't listed. How can I check if I have sata / raid drivers, this driver is really old I know that though haha.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
My guess is the cmos battery dead.
An IDE drive looks like this.
IDE Drive click on me

A Sata drive looks like this.
Sata drive click on me.

My guess is you have an ide drive. I would undo the box and check which drive.
Make sure you touch some metal to earth yourself before touching anything inside the box.
It may help to take the drive out so you can get make, model number and size of the drive. Make sure you notice how the cables go.
Or if you are worried about that then just look for the cmos battery and click it out. Use something wooden
Like a cooking skewer or pencil - Just not metal. Go buy a new cmos battery and put it in (take the old to get same size).
Reboot and see if your computer picks up auto detect.
When you boot the computer NOW does it have on the black screen that starts Auto detecting hard drives?
Cheers
peterm

Edited by peterm, 22 April 2008 - 09:48 PM.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
wow thanks lots lol I would have never thought about that, sorry about the late reply.