Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Doesn't boot after I installed new RAM

• Please log in to reply

ljw74

ljw74

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi. I was in the process of upgrading the memory on an Omnibook XE3 from 64Mb of PC100 ram to 256MBx2 of PC133 (Many websites pointed me to these sticks so I'm not sure why the Mhz number is different.) So I first took out the 64Mb stick and stuck one of the 256Mb sticks in there and all I got was a black screen when it started up i heard the fans going but nothing on the screen. So I moved the same stick into the other slot and got the same thing, no beeps no nothing just a black screen. So just to cheak that it wasnt already screwed up I just took the new stick out and put the old one back in and it booted fine. After that I decided to try it again with the newer sticks and then it started beeping.

There are two types of beeps it makes,
one of the beeps is 3-3-1( with no memory, PC cards, or usb's)
the other beep is 1-1-1-1( it makes this beep when i have the old or the new memory in, and again nothing else plugged in)

Neither of these combinations of beeps show up on the service manual (Omnibook XE3 Service Manual)

I think i have determined that the problem isn't the battery I have tried the older one and a brand new one and with no battery just with the Ac cord.

Any help is greatly appriciated

Thanks,
Logan

P.S. I might have tried both the PC100 and the PC133 sticks in the two slots at one time I don' know if this would cause I problem like this or not just an idea.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
if the laptop doesn't do anything with the new memory but talks quite happily to the original memory, then it doesn't like that memory and all you can do is source some more, hopefully stuff that it likes. Look it up on Crucial's website as they sell memory that they guarantee it'll like. It'll also tell you how much memory the laptop supports.

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings ljw74

I am with Neil Jones on this one.

From the very limited information you provided on your make and model, It appears to be a old pentium III class notebook computer.

Looks to be a two memory slot notebook, that can be upgraded to a maximum of 256 mb only. So two stick of 256mb would not do.

You would have to populate the slots with 2 sticks of 128mb.

Most 133mhz sdram modules are backwards compatible to operate at the 100 mhz buss speeds.

Good luck

Kaz.

ljw74

ljw74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry there wasn't enough info. But originally I went to crucial's site and found memory for the laptop and bought it, they said it is capable of 512Mb and I continued to get the exact stick, just a different brand.

The Memory

The only thing is when I put the old stick back in, just how it was when it was working fine, it still gives me the same beep as the other sticks.
I also talked to an actually helpful person from HP today, and they told me that the 1-1-1-1 beep had to do with a problem with the bios and the 3-3-1 had to do with the CMOS battery and/or memory.

Thanks for the help guys.