Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are Sony Vaio Laptops good and reputable? versus this Acer one?

• Please log in to reply

rocco1005

rocco1005

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I found a "middle of the road" sony vaio laptop and was wondering what you all think about sony laptops. I was looking at an Acer but then a sony at office depot caught my eye but the screen is 15 and the Acer is 17. I would like the sony just because its cheaper in price, but if they make crap laptops than ill have to go with the acer unless its crap too. Please look at a few of the specs for them both. thanks

Heres some specs.

Sony VAIO VGN-NR285E

Intel core 2 Duo processor 1.66ghz T5450
2G of Ram
2mb of L2 cache
15.4 inch screen
200 G hard drive

ACER Aspire 7520-5071

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55
2G of Ram
512kb of L2 cache
17 inch screen
160 G hard drive

Edited by rocco1005, 22 April 2008 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I've never had a Vaio or an Acer, but the specs on the Sony look better to me. 40 more GB and 1.5 MB more of L2 cache...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sony might have the better specs but Sonys are a pain in the proverbial to upgrade in any way, shape or form because even the normally replaceable bits such as the CD drive are proprietary in terms of their connectors.

The Intel processor will be faster performance-wise alone but having said that, when the laptop does die three, four, five years down the line don't expect any of it to be replaceable. Most other models you can replace faulty memory, the hard drive, the CD unit (just about) - on this Sony it only takes specific chip types of memory.