Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prevent shutting down of Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply

humbleone

humbleone

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey guys, how do i prevent users from shutting down or restarting windows xp home edition? i downloaded the files to activate "group policy", but it didn't work! can someone tell me a way to do it, or a program to buy w/o me having to upgrade to windows xp pro?

thanks in advance!

humbleone

Advertisements

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Even if you were to prevent others from Shutting Down or Restarting your computer, they can still simply press the power button on the front of your computer tower. Pressing the button will pop up the window to choose to Shut Down, Log Off or Restart. If they hold down the power button, it will force the computer to shut down. So it is hard to prevent them from doing that unless you were to lock up the tower in a cabinet, which would also prevent them from accessing USB Ports, CD Drive, Floppy Drive, etc. Good luck though!