Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

first build and wont work

• Please log in to reply

rosso5792

rosso5792

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi everyone, First time builder here. I got my parts for my computer yesterday and got everything installed ok, i found it quite interesting to build a whole new computer and once it was build i felt relief. i had my friend helping as he had built his computer.

anyways my problem is that when it loads up, in the top left corner, it only picks up the master drive which i have as my dvd rom drive but i cant seem to get it to pick up my hard drive. me and my friend went into the bios and had a look and it picks both drives up there but for some reason it shows 4 master and only 1 slave. We tried to change the sata cables on the hard drive and put them in different ports but cant seem to get it to work. it also usually boots up and when i try to load up the vista disk, it will say its looking for the files and once reached the end of the loading bar it will BSOD.

Me and my friend are totally in the dark here as we have never used SATA before so any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance, Rosso5792

oh yeah this is the mobo i have and hard drive

mobo: http://www.overclock.......&subcat=913

hard drive: http://www.overclock.......&subcat=940

Edited by rosso5792, 23 April 2008 - 12:32 AM.

Advertisements

Scribbles

Scribbles

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi there G2G yeah as my friend said, were clue less :)

SATA bay 1 is master but it should be bay 0, and in the bios listing when its checking the bay at boot it shows like 5 master bay and 1 slave where there only 4 SATA bays.

personally i have never used SATA only PATA and all help would be really great full.

Thanks, Scribbles

Edited by Scribbles, 23 April 2008 - 01:32 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go! That's to both of you! :)

So you two (rosso5792 and Scribbles) are the builders, right?

Can you list all components used in the build?

SATA will always list each drive as a master, each on its own channel. The whole master/slave thing has been left behind by SATA, but it still is included in the BIOS as the motherboards still have IDE connectors.

That motherboard actually has 8 SATA ports, so it's simply telling you which number it's connected to.

Posted Image

Cheers

Troy

Scribbles

Scribbles

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi m8, thanks for the welcome.

Ive built my machine yeah rosso is a first timer.

the mobo has only got 4 sata ports the purple one and the one above it is not there :)

erm the components are:

Nvidia 8800 gtx

crossfire ram 4 gb

crossfire 640W PSU

antec900 gaming case

samsung 500GB hdd

ASUS DVD - + RW

thats what i can rember of the top of my head

rosso5792

rosso5792

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a

Nvidia 8800 gts

OCZ ram 4 gb

Crosair 620W PSU

antec900 gaming case

samsung 500GB hdd

ASUS DVD - + RW

Edited by rosso5792, 23 April 2008 - 09:50 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

thats what i can rember of the top of my head

Hi there,

Judging from Rosso's list, you didn't quite get it all right! :)

That motherboard is the GA-P35-DS3R, to which Rosso linked in the first post. So what motherboard do you really have?

If you could post links to the exact make/model of your parts it would help (e.g. exactly what RAM... etc).

Cheers

Troy

rosso5792

rosso5792

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry about that link to the motherboard, must have copied the wrong one ;p

it is actually this one : http://www.overclock.......&subcat=913

It seem to blue screen with the error acpi.sys code when it finishes loading the bar. i phoned up my uncles friend who deals with computers and he said it is most likely just a bios command which is on the wrong setting.

if i could get it working before i take it to his house to fix, it would be great but if i cant well i shall see what he can do ;p