Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMA file with missing END tag Repair Ideas?

• Please log in to reply

Karen Kraft

Karen Kraft

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was recording a very long file using a mic and we experienced a power failure before I could close the recording session. As a result, I have an audio file that plays just fine, but since it has no end tag (or whatever), it cannot be converted and I can't use the speed bar to advance along it to do my editing. I tried all repair software I could find, but they won't even load the file into their application because it either reads the file as having Zero Duration or it says that it is not an audio file. I tried the following: AsfToodl 3.1, Power MP3 Cutter Joiner, Switch Sount File Converter, AVS Audio Editor, and AIMOne All to MP3 Converter. Nothing seems to work. I even ripped it to a CD but the file in the CD has the same problem: it plays great but has no clock, speed bar, and shows "0" as the total file duration, while showing the correct file size in Megabytes. I need help... PLEASE!!! Thanks guys.

-- Karen

Reply here or to:

[email protected]

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Try installing Adobe Audition which you can find at www.adobe.com or through google. Adobe Audition used to be known as Cool Edit Pro before Syntrillum Software sold it to Adobe. It will load the file even though there is no "end audio" on the track. Than you can cut off what doesn't work, save it, or export it as whatever file type you'd like it to be [ie: wav, mp3, etc].

Let me know if all goes well... I can also suggest some other things to do but that would be the best. I'd also like you to know that this is very common in the recording industry. Lights go out a lot and as such circumstances happen you must be ready! That is why I would personally suggest that you use Adobe Audition for all of your recording purposes. It's the easiest multi track recording application to use. Not only that but it creates a temp folder on your hard drive. So if the lights ever go out, the program crashes, or your pc restarts erratically, it will reload the session to the point you left off automatically the next time you start Adobe Audition. Try it out for a while... Heck it'll save you a lot of time and stress. A lot of major recording artists use it. Some other programs to use would be Cubase, and Pro Tools. But those are much more advanced for the average user. Adobe Audition is the way to go trust me. :)

I have ten years of sound engineering experience under my belt. So please treat your studio sessions right and record using the proper software. I don't care if your doing this in an expensive lab or a home studio. Once something is recorded and lost it cannot ever be recorded again the same way [ie: mood, vocals, posture, etc].

Edited by superstar, 02 May 2008 - 12:54 AM.

Karen Kraft

Karen Kraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Try installing Adobe Audition which you can find at www.adobe.com or through google. Adobe Audition used to be known as Cool Edit Pro before Syntrillum Software sold it to Adobe. It will load the file even though there is no "end audio" on the track. Than you can cut off what doesn't work, save it, or export it as whatever file type you'd like it to be [ie: wav, mp3, etc].

Let me know if all goes well... I can also suggest some other things to do but that would be the best. I'd also like you to know that this is very common in the recording industry. Lights go out a lot and as such circumstances happen you must be ready! That is why I would personally suggest that you use Adobe Audition for all of your recording purposes. It's the easiest multi track recording application to use. Not only that but it creates a temp folder on your hard drive. So if the lights ever go out, the program crashes, or your pc restarts erratically, it will reload the session to the point you left off automatically the next time you start Adobe Audition. Try it out for a while... Heck it'll save you a lot of time and stress. A lot of major recording artists use it. Some other programs to use would be Cubase, and Pro Tools. But those are much more advanced for the average user. Adobe Audition is the way to go trust me. :)

I have ten years of sound engineering experience under my belt. So please treat your studio sessions right and record using the proper software. I don't care if your doing this in an expensive lab or a home studio. Once something is recorded and lost it cannot ever be recorded again the same way [ie: mood, vocals, posture, etc].

I downloaded the program but it does not recognize the file format. In Windows media player, it plays, but it has no end audio, so it cannot be advanced -- no progress bar -- only plays in real time. Nice program, but I'm not sure how I can get it to help me at this point. -Karen